Railroad Forums 

• A Historic date, of sorts....

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#28558  by LCJ

If only:

- Conrail had been able to figure out how to grow revenues instead just selling off parts of the network to stay alive and independent into the 21st century.

- Political influences hadn't prevailed in the so-called SP-East acquisition attempt that would have doubled Conrail's revenues and significantly expanded the franchise.

Then, well, everything would have been different. No sulking here. I really don't miss Conrail at all -- as long as CSX continues to maintain my Conrail Supplemental pension, that is!

#28721  by roadster

How soon we forget, In the early '90's Conrail successfully fought of a hostile takeover by the NS. It was Conrail CEO Levan which started merger talks with CSX CEO J.Snow in '96. If it had gone to fruitation, CSX headquaters would have been in Philly, Pa.. The plan fell through when NS started the bidding war which ended up with the "King Solomon" split forced upon it by the feds. Sorry Nip, but it was Conrail looking to expand. It wasn't the falling apart, bankrupt, rust bucket you seem to preceive. But the remains are now sliding that way. Reference Trains Magazine '98, ( I'll have to find the month again) which interviewed Levan about the breakup. We don't miss Conrail because we like blue engines, we miss Conrail because CSX has degenerated the place back to the stone ages of PC. And I never missed those days.