Railroad Forums 

• Warning boards on Pope's Creek Sub

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#286053  by gprimr1

I live near the Pope's Creek Subdivision and before it crosses croom road, there is an orage sign with a diagonal line running from 2-8 on a clock on it.

Does this mean slow down or blow whistle?

#286092  by Lmcgolf

GP,

That is a temporary warning sign, it lets the crew know that there is going to be a speed reduction coming up within the next 2 miles. This gives the train ample time to reduce speed in case they need to stop completely. Hope this helps.

Lmcgolf

#286095  by 262

I believe that what you saw was an advance warning board,letting crew of train or other equipment know that within the next mile they will come upon a red board ,if they have not contacted the foreman who's name is on the work athority they are required to stop short of the red board untile permission is granted and it is recorded on the proper forms.

#286252  by Railjunkie

You are both right you could come to a conditional stop sign (red board) or a temporary speed restriction, yellow board followed by a green board.

#286269  by CSX Conductor

That's why CSXT's warning sign could be confusing in areas where there are both Rule 89's and restrictions. At least on Norac you'd have an "A" board for a work area and a speed board before a speed restriction. That's another good thing about NORAC, the speed was on the warning sign. :(

#286273  by gprimr1

Based on the location of the sign, I think Mr. LmcGolf is probally correct.

The sign is placed right before a road crossing and right after anouther road crossing. If the train had to stop, it would be completly blocking croom station road and would trip the signals for the croom road crossing.

Thank you. :)

I'll get a photo of the location today or tomorrow.

#286282  by CSX Conductor

gprimr1 wrote:Based on the location of the sign, I think Mr. LmcGolf is probally correct.
Don't mean to sound rude, but based on the fact that RailJunkie & myself deal with these signs on a regular basis while working, yes he is correct. Since there is a warning sign and the next one is a Yellow sign (begin speed restriction) sign that is where the speed restriction begins. If you were to follow the line further you should eventually come to a green (resume speed) sign, which marks the end of the restriction...and also marks the beginning of the restriction when going in the opposite direction. :wink:

#286897  by Engineer James

I always thought it meant NO SWITCH. There is an old C&O Boxcar at a Loading building at a cider mill nearby, the spur was taken out years ago, so I thought it meant that that car could not be moved, due to there not being a switch.

#287176  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, better let that crew know, there is no switch, up at that boxcar. They might just "jump" the loco right off the tracks, trying to retrieve it............ :P

#287443  by CSX Conductor

Knowing this company, that could be a possibiliity, lol. Sorry James, but you set yourself up for that zonger from Golden-Arm. :P

#287663  by Engineer James

Golden, is just being mean to me.... I have heard several crews of the Locals on the old scanner asking the Dispatcher if that car has to be picked up.... The dispatcher was on the floor laughing really hard the other night, when the switchman/conductor went out to look for the switch stand, and reported back that there wasn't one.... the Dispatcher then got really concerned and asked them where the were, the switch man read the Milepost number, and then on the scanner u heard a thump, and laughing, they had a great time with it. Thank god that road is never busy....