Railroad Forums 

• CSX dispatchers

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#265556  by conrail_engineer

CSX Conductor wrote:If we could move trains better we could ommit the date, lol. :P
Ain't THAT the truth. I tell everyone, CSX is the only operation that tells time with a calendar... :(

#265559  by crazy_nip

The first letter is NOT dispatcher location.

Jacksonville has Ax, Bx, etc

#265565  by conrail_engineer

crazy_nip wrote:The first letter is NOT dispatcher location.

Not out of Jax, true. But all dispatchers I know out of Indianapolis, have the "I" first letter.

I'm less sure of Selkirk. I don't know what the Jersey or Boston desks are coded. There does, however, seem to be a pattern of coding...the second letter goes down the alphabet the further away from the dispatch center.

For example, going west of Buffalo, you have NG and NH; and as you enter territory covered by Indianapolis, you (going west) have IH, IG, IF, IE, and ID (entering Indianapolis proper).

#265611  by clearblock

crazy_nip wrote:The first letter is NOT dispatcher location.

The system was originally set up with multiple letters A, B, etc for Jacksonville due to the number of desks in that facility. When the former CR facilities were added, each was assigned a unique first letter, I for Indianapolis and N (New York?) for Selkirk. I don't know the letter for Chicago but the first letter does indicate the dispatch center. Jacksonville just has multiple letters assigned to them.

At Selkirk, the desk letters A-J existed in the Conrail days and were carried over into CSX but radio identification was by territory name instead of desk letter until the CSX system of identification with the "N" and desk letter was put in effect.

In addition to the changes I mentioned in my previous post for the Selkirk I and J desks with the CSX takeover, the H desk also changed. Under CR the H desk was the Niagara DS. The branch lines handled by that desk were merged with the Buffalo Terminal G desk by CSX and H desk became the "Lakeshore" DS which is the present "NH" territory.

#265813  by matthewsaggie

conrail_engineer wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:If we could move trains better we could ommit the date, lol. :P
Ain't THAT the truth. I tell everyone, CSX is the only operation that tells time with a calendar... :(
But then you wouldn't know how late you are.