• Worcester to Ayer, MA

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Jedijk88

Does anyone know how many trains CSX runs between Worcester and Ayer MA? I know Q-426, a general freight, uses the line, but I thought most traffic was diverted back onto Guilford's west end.

by CSX Conductor

The only freights from CSXT to Guilford via the P&W to Barbers is Q426 as you mentioned, and it's westbound counterpart Q427. Just as information the symbols used by Guilford are as follows:

Q426 = SEPO(Selkirk-Portland)
Q427 = POSE(Portland-Selkirk)

Q293/Q274 used to go up to Ayer with Ford automobiles, but we got the contract from Guilford and the Fords are now unloaded at the CP Yard in Holliston, which is where Q274/Q293 now go. :wink:

by Jedijk88

Thanks.

So Guilford handles no automobile traffic anymore?

by johnpbarlow

...but we got the contract from Guilford and the Fords are now unloaded at the CP Yard in Holliston...
Just a nit but, technically, the CP yard straddles the Framingham - Sherborn line on the Holliston Secondary. The tracks to Holliston were ripped out a year ago or so in preparation for building a rail trail. I'm not holding my breath as Holliston and CSX have been negotiating terms for land acquisition for a long time now with no visible progress.
  by frrc

RE:Holliston trackage for a rail trail. CSX wants $8 million for the trackage from Leominster to Fitchburg, roughly 5 miles of track, so a similar price is probably wanted for the Holliston section.

by CSX Conductor

Yes, John, I meant Sherborn.......on the Holliston Industrial, thanks for the correction....a bit tired when that was posted.