Railroad Forums 

• Folkston Funnel on CBS Sunday Morning Show

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#244090  by Ocala Mike

Did anyone catch Sunday Morning yesterday. Bill Geist had a featured piece on railfanning at Folkston, GA. Nice shots of freights, engines (including some foreign borrowed stuff), Amtrak runbys, and the Autotrain. Lots of talking foamer heads. Good stuff!

Ocala Mike
 #244357  by Noel Weaver

Wish I had known about this, I could have taped it.
I spent a delightful day at Folkston last November, saw lots of trains and
found some very friendly people in this part of Georgia.
Noel Weaver

#244392  by Engineer James

Darn... missed it.

#244458  by crazy_nip

folkston is already too packed on weekends, wont be long until some idiot gets killed there and ruins it for the rest of us

#244592  by Noel Weaver

crazy_nip wrote:folkston is already too packed on weekends, wont be long until some idiot gets killed there and ruins it for the rest of us
When I was in Folkston last fall on a weekday, it was not crowded. I could
see where it could get crowded on a weekend but there is ample space,
the crossings all have lights, bells and gates and the trains for the most
part did not go too fast through there.
Some idiot could get killed but I think the chances of it happening there
are probably less than some other places.
Noel Weaver
 #244755  by MikeB

Don't under-estimate idiots.

#244767  by TheBaran

They also showed the juice train. Bill Geist always does a great job. The scene where the CSX conductor gives the pin to the little boy was a nice touch. The railfan he interviewed (who comes down every so often in his motor home) was a pretty funny character. Although it is a news program, Sunday Morning only updates the front portion of the show during the summer months and repeats all other stories. The Bill Geist segments are popular so expect to see the Forkston story again this summer. If you go to the CBS News Sunday Morning website, perhaps there is a contact section where information on future episodes can be obtained.
 #244802  by Ocala Mike

Godd point, Baran. I forgot to mention the Tropicana train shot. Would definitely be worth checking with the website to see if this segment will be repeated sometime.

Ocala Mike