Railroad Forums 

• More CSXT F40PHs

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#229110  by Engineer James

Why more?? Arent #9993 and #9992 ok??

#229126  by CSX Conductor

Perhaps they got a good deal on them, or for free. Maybe the company got them so they can have a pair of F40's to power to seperate business trains at the same time. Or maybe they just got them for parts?!? Anybody know what the former Amtrak #'s were? The 9998 shows only a "2" on the fireman's side.

#229136  by octr202

The caption of the second photo says CSXT swapped other units to the OC for the F40s. Given that Ohio Central does a lot of work buying, rebuilding, and reselling power, they probably got them for the price of some old freight units that were already headed for the deadline in Waycross or Huntingdon.

#229141  by CSX Conductor

Before they go in for paint they should tie onto the office cars and pull them into the paint shop as well so everything is uniform.

#229283  by rocketman

Why bother? The paint scheme looks like $hit anyway.

#229506  by CSX Conductor

I thought the business cars that they sent up here for the DNC looked horrible. The Dark Future would look better. Of course they would never look as good as the NS business train (except for when it got tagged at Beacon Park.) :(

#229691  by NorfolkSouthernSean

This is in the current issue of Extra 2200 South:

In late November 2005 Ohio Central traded ex Amtrak EMD F40PH's 280 & 288 to CSX for their GE B23-S7's 3186 & 3188, EMD SD40 4602, Ex Conrail EMD SD45-2 8976, and GE C30-7 7139.

#229948  by CSX Conductor

Hopefully the old "jump-seats" were replaced. I remember Amtrak's F40's having those little jump seats for a third crew member to sit on, in front of the conductor/fireman's seat......not comfortable at all, lol. :P

#230772  by Scotty Burkhardt

The more F40's around the better.

Aside from that, Why 9999 & 9998? As opposed to 9994 or 9995. What, if anything are #9994-9997? Awhile back I heard Norfolk Southern was interested in a few F40 to add to their roster. Did that fall by the wayside?

I am glad to see these units getting an extra shot at life. The F40 played a huge role in what modern, American(Canadian) Passenger railroading is today. Its great to see them out and around.

#230784  by Engineer James

Actually, #9998 and #9999, were ORIGIONALLY going to be used for the ex-CR E8's they aquired after the motive power split. However, the numbers were never put on, and they sat in the CR colors until resqued by Juniata.

#230795  by octr202

CSX Conductor wrote:I thought the business cars that they sent up here for the DNC looked horrible. The Dark Future would look better. Of course they would never look as good as the NS business train (except for when it got tagged at Beacon Park.) :(
I always thought that they should just embrace the B&O blue gray and gold thing that they've got going with the business cars and paint the F40s up to look like a B&O E unit. :) But that's just me...

#230847  by Engineer James

Octr202,
Man, I am glad to hear that!!! B&O, the best road of em all. How'd they do it? I did not like the P40 genesis that I think it was MBTA painted in the old NH white, orange and black........ However, eather the dark future, or even......... A CHESSIE SCHEME!!! Dang, that look great!!!!

#230882  by octr202

Engineer James wrote:Octr202,
Man, I am glad to hear that!!! B&O, the best road of em all. How'd they do it? I did not like the P40 genesis that I think it was MBTA painted in the old NH white, orange and black........ However, eather the dark future, or even......... A CHESSIE SCHEME!!! Dang, that look great!!!!
Nope...Conn. DOT. They're the only commuter railroad with GEs.

MBTA however is trying to do an Atlantic Coast Line impression these days:
MBTA 3247

MBTA 1030