• orange lights on ES44dc

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by RSD15

What is the function of the orange/amber lights on CSX ES44DCs AC60CWs and at least some AC44CWs?
The lights are located on both sides of the cab towards the front, under the numbers and are hardly ever on.I have only seen them on CSX units so far.

thanks
charles

by B&A_Railfan

I believe those are the LSL lights for the cab signals.

by Kevin B.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the units you are seeing are Ex-Conrail units (that have been repainted to CSX) and the lights are classification lights. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time! :wink:

by metman499

Except that the locos in question were never rostered by CR. And CR class lights are red and typically located on the nose.

by octr202

I believe the light on the GP40-2 has something to do with the APU units (devices that allow the units to be shut down but kept warm) on them, so perhaps that's where they are situated on the new GEs?

Just taking a guess here...

by roadster

octr202 you are correct about the GP-40-2 light, this is a warning beacon on aftermarket APU equiped older EMDs (GP-40's, 50's, 38's, 39's) As for the GEVO's light, I think you may be correct as they are equiped with an auto shutdown feature. Next time I get one I'll check it out.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what does APU stand for?

by octr202

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what does APU stand for?
Normally, most places I've heard it, is Auxillary Power Unit. Not sure if that's what this APU stands for though.

Just passing along stuf I probably heard on here before... :wink:

by crazy_nip

are you sure that is actually a light?

I cant say I have ever seen that thing lit up

on the GP40-2's, that is for the APU, some SD40-2's and GP38-2's have them too

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea thats a light, i was up close and personal w/ that ES44DC when it was in Framingham

by B&A_Railfan

I said the light on the side of the ES44DC's was the LSL light for the cab signals. The beacon light on the GP40-2 is completely diffrent and its for the APU.

by CSX Conductor

Ryan is correct as to the small yellow "bulb" below the cab. It is for LSL on cab signals, as well as Amtrak's A.C.S.E.S. equipment. The light is illuminated when the LSL or A.C.S.E.S. is cut-in. On many of the six axles the light illuminates when there is a loss in the GPS signal.

As for the revolving beacon on the roof or side above the panel doors, this is a warning mechanism for the APU (also referred to as K-9) which is designed to automatically shut down the locomotive after it has been idling for an extended period of time. On the newer 4700/4800's the APU starts and shuts down the main engine automatically, where as the older units have to be manually started after the APU shuts them down.