Railroad Forums 

• new rookie

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#200313  by mudmonkey

hello everyone,
I am fixing to change careers to join the ranks of railroaders. I am very excited about this change, but I am also nervous.

#200320  by mudmonkey

is there any advice you all may have I would really appreciate hearing from ya.

#200605  by CSX Conductor

Don't be scared, just be alert.

The schooling is set-up to take people off the streets and teach them alot about the railroad operations. However you'll actually learn alot more in the field.

#200655  by Railjunkie

If you are not sure, dont do it and ask questions. Always remember there are no stupid questions.

etc

#200819  by Noel Weaver

Take what you think you know about the railroad as a "railfan" and put it
away in the "bottom drawer".
Nothing will turn the "old timers" off worse than someone who "knows it
all".
Good luck.
Noel Weaver

#200884  by roadster

Prepare yourself for many hours away from home, no weekends, no regular shift or schedule, or holidays. Very little time for family. Any and all weather conditions. Pay attention!!!!! forget what you think you know
listen and watch your instructors. Leave the cameras and the railfan at home. All things considered, if you can deal with the aforementioned items, the pay is very good. If you have family, make sure you fully discuss this with them before you sign on. Have seen many new hires leave after just 2 years or less because of the stresses of not being around. Best of luck.

#201172  by GOLDEN-ARM

Best advice I ever received about joining the railroad, "believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear". The BS is pretty deep, on most properties. More important, if you don't know, or aren't sure, DON'T DO IT!!! Better to look foolish asking 10 times how to do something, than to mess it up, or get killed, because you "thought" you understood. You either know it, or you don't. (I THOUGHT I knew what we were doing gets people hurt, or killed) Keep your eyes open, and your mouth shut, seems to work for those really wanting to learn. (unless you are asking questions, obviously :wink: ) Best advice can be found in the previous postings, throughout this forum. All the questions have already been asked, and answered. Good luck. :-D