• Old Conrail Spreaders

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Engineer James

I saw again the CR jordan spreader. #22564. Was yellow, I thought they would use it where they had more snow? Had 2 Alberta clippers come in bringing heavy snow (1') at least to our area. Saw a new Geep hooked up and it was hauling (backwords) toward the Plymouth Diamond. Amazing!!! :-D Sucker was flying at least 60, although the speed limit i thoguth was 45.

by SRS125

could be using it to spread ballast or maybe to widen some ditches someplace?

by Engineer James

Not really any ditches... It was in yellow paint though.

by SRS125

thats standard color for all the Conrail spreaders well yellow or yellow/orange mustard color has been that way since Penn Central as far as I can remember.

(Edited by CR)

by Engineer James

Ahhh... But, still I hgave not seen it since this summer... it is odd... why use an old jordan in the summer and not winter? Funny

by SRS125

They can be used to spread out ballest and for doing ditches in the summer I have seen this done many times. Weather or not these ideas were intended for a snow plow or not I have no clue but the railroads do some crazy things which don't suprise me anymore.

by Nova55

Jordans were built from teh factory as Spreaders, Ditchers, Ice Cutters, Bank Builders, Plows, Ballast Spreaders, Bank Wideners and more. Info straight from Jordan literature. .