Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1447395  by DogBert

Saw a single gp38-2 going over hell gate around 4pm last friday, queens bound. Not sure what that was about...
 #1448056  by ccutler

A few things. Just saw the incoming freight stopped below the third avenue bridge. It includes a continuous welded rail load. Also,I have not seen any deliveries to the potato place in Mount Vernon in a while, and loads to the warehouses in the Bronx seem to be down. I guess we are seeing more examples of precision truck marketing
 #1448069  by Backshophoss

Have there been any problems with the trash trains or getting empty trash cars back for reloading?
Has the City's Sanitation Dept or Waste Management been having problems with CSX?
 #1448102  by ccutler

I am pleased to hear that CSX hasn't had problems hauling the trash out. That problem would be a big mess! The sewage sludge hauling operation appears to have plenty of brown container cars stored at Oak Point. At one point over the summer, it looked like they were running dangerously low on railcars. But that didn't seem to last more than a few weeks.

I wish the transition to "precision railroading" were more "precise."
 #1448108  by DogBert

How much stone is CSX hauling now? I've caught a few Saturday morning runs this last month and they've all had a cut of at least a half dozen stone cars. Is this traffic in addition to P&W's, or has it taken from theirs? I tried a few times to catch P&W late in the day Fridays, haven't seen a thing since this spring.

I'd say 3 out of 4 of the last fresh pond jobs I've seen all had 100 or so cars.
 #1448116  by gregorygrice

The only stone CSX transports is stone for Brookhaven Rail Terminal. Nothing was taken from P&W. P&W still brings in anywhere from 50 to 91 stone every other day.
 #1448159  by Backshophoss

So far,so good on the trash trains, has there been any shift of general freight interchange away from CSX to NJNY's car float operation?
 #1448402  by freightguy

Ccutler,

ACE/Endico in Mount Vernon West was slow for a bit now. However there was a car on spot in the last two weeks, but usually got serviced a few times a week. Not sure why it has slowed down so much. The stone guy at Brookhaven rail has a fleet of 100 cars and it comes from a quarry upstate. Very active customer for BRT.
 #1448460  by DogBert

Nice to hear that stone at BRT is new. Back when CP ran down here they seemed to get some of P&W's traffic, but that ended around the time they entered the haulage agreement with csx.
 #1448515  by ccutler

Rode by the yard this morning. all the damaged box cars have been scrapped and removed. A long-unused track next to Jetro was being removed...the sludge transfer facility is busy as ever and isn't affected. There were six boxcars spotted at the warehouse next to Jetro.
It appears that the overnight train from Selkirk didn't arrive yet, or if it did, it was very short. Several long cuts of what looked like outgoing cars from Oak Point area industries were ready to be taken up to Selkirk. In the middle of the yard was a long cut of white refrigerated cars. I could not see the truck springs to try to guage if they were loads or empties--not that I good at that anyway. At 8:15, the transfer run from NYAR was arriving, with four SD units and a fairly long train. It looks like the next train up to Selkirk will be a long one.
Thanks everyone for your updates.
 #1450988  by ccutler

I went by the Potato shipper near West Vernon and the lumber yard in the Bronx and neither had any loads. I am inferring that most of that business switched to trucks. I also read on a fb page that LA&L upstate NY has switched almost all of its interchange from CSX to R&S/NS because of unreliable service. So I am inferring the EHH doesn't care about the small shipper. Somehow G&W made billions of dollars in market cap from serving the small shippers, NS does fine with them, yet EHH can't figure out how to serve them. Calling it "precision" doesn't make it precise, much less professional.
 #1451048  by ccutler

This afternoon, called CSX police as a group was stealing cases of beer from a box car in the yard...in broad daylight. Did CSX police patrols get cut? 20 minutes later, NYPD called me back for more info, so I have no doubt the thieves got away. It looked like a pretty well coordinated theft operation.
 #1452052  by gregorygrice

CSX Y303(30) ran Fresh Pond to Oak Point early this morning with FICX flats 2001-2004 loaded with LI 9812 & LI 9863 (M3 Pair) & LI 2907 & LI 2933 (P72 Coaches).

Expect these 4 to be on Q704 Oak Point to Selkirk one of these nights. They're on their way to Frontier Metals in Ohio to be scrapped.