Railroad Forums 

• Toilets in CSX engines

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#202808  by Silverliner II

blippo wrote:I prefer a taxi also. At the rate we get trains over the road on our subdivisions , if we had to deadhead by train, we'd never get home. As far as them putting a car behind the motor equipped with shower, chairs, etc. . Don't give the railroad that idea. As twisted as they are, they'd have us work like over the road truckers. They's work two crews from Florida to Maine. 12 hrs shifts, one crew take rest in the sleeper car while the other crew work the train. Non stop. lol
Shhhh! They'll HEAR you! :-D :wink:

#203272  by conrail_engineer

CSX Conductor wrote:
conrail_engineer wrote:The deadheading crews would like it too. Given a choice, most deadhead crews would rather hop a train than deal with those cabs and questionable drivers.
Personally I'd prefer the taxi as opposed to dead-heading on a train because Selkirk to Boston is only 2&1/2 or 3 hours...opposed to possibly another 10 ot 12 hours on the rails.
Guess it depends on the nature of the runs in your area. On the Buffalo/Cleveland/Willard-Crestline stretch, there are a lot of hot van trains that can make better time than a cab.

You have to pick and choose, though; and it's by no means a guarantee. EVERYTHING get's bogged down frequently.

As to the other...take your pick. Trapped for hours on a train; or on the road with a semiretarded van driver with three out-of-balance tires, with the driver serenating the crew with loud rap music off the radio.

Everyone has his limits. Me, I'll take the train.

#203284  by jg greenwood

Many of us on the former IC wholeheartedly agree the most dangerous thing we do is to "endure" these van rides. These people are so underpaid that they're forced to work 18-20 hours/day to even approach a reasonable income. It's a bitch to work 12-hours and not be able to close your eyes during a 2-3' van ride! I don't fault the van employees. The problem, IMHO, lies with the total lack of ENFORCEABLE hour's of service for these drivers. Pencil-whipping reigns supreme!