Railroad Forums 

• article in today's phila inquirer - Railcars full of hazards

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#191383  by nittany4

this article is on the front page of today's paper

CSX is embattled over parking hazmat trains on the edge of a newly formed city park near the schuykill river in center city

there is a CSX mainline about 500 feet from my house in the Fairmount section of the city

scary stuff

Railcars full of hazards

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/13308343.htm[url]

#191853  by harmon44

If it scares you why do you live so close to the tracks?

etc

#191970  by Noel Weaver

Trucks on public streets and main highways are also full of hazards, are
you as concerned about them? If you are not, you should be.
Noel Weaver

#191979  by roadster

Good point Noel, I've tried several times with letters to the local papers up here but that's not the news they wanna print. How's life gettin back to normal after Wilma?

etc

#192133  by Noel Weaver

roadster wrote:Good point Noel, I've tried several times with letters to the local papers up here but that's not the news they wanna print. How's life gettin back to normal after Wilma?
Life is slowly returning but it is a slow process. There are still many signs
of damage, traffic lights are working but there might be one light instead
of four in each direction at some corners. Our condo complex suffered
about five million dollars damage between the common elements and the
individual units. I was lucky, my building suffered much less damage and
my unit none at all.
You would not want to be running the Miami territory right now, they are
cutting in a bunch of double track sections this weekend and coming week
and there are a number of areas where the signals are out for this work.
I put an article out of the Sun-Sentinel on the Tri-Rail site about this work.
Noel Weaver

#192145  by blippo

This guy in the article is the same guy that is protesting CSX parking trains blocking access to the Schykill River Park trail. When there is a walkway a block away that leads to a street that goes over the railroad. People go to the trail to get in a couple of miles of some exercise walking and running but can't walk a block to the overpass. These are the kind of people your dealing with that are complaining

#196662  by mmi16

General use parks in close proximity to active main line rail facilities is an exercise in suspened reality. Active rail lines are dangerous enough in their own right, with or without hazmat, for rail employees that are continually schooled and cautioned about the potentials for danger. To let the brain dead general public in close proximity is an invitation to disaster.

I might add, in regard to Hazmat.....if you want the products to buy that are available on todays marketplace....you don't get those products without Hazmat materials being used in their manufacture. In fact in most parts of the country, you don't get clean drinking water without Hazmat being used in it's processing.

#196887  by Cowford

I was amused by thefreetheriverpark.org link to photos of hazmat cars. Scrap metal, plastic pellets and calcium carbonate (essentially ground limestone in water)? Hardly hazmat. They don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.