Railroad Forums 

• Conrail SD70MAC 778

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#183064  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hey everyone i went to Framingham today, 11/6 and i saw a nice engine, a conrail engine 778 i was so happy when i saw it come out of the yard, lol heres some pics of it, enjoy

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A1

more tomorrow of the engine sitting in Nevins yard
 #183344  by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:more tomorrow of the engine sitting in Nevins yard
Well? It's now 2 days later!!! LOL :P

#184396  by U-Haul

In the last photo I noticed the 8 in 778 was upside down. It is these irregularites make a railroad interesting.

#184595  by crazy_nip

they really need to paint those things

I find it bizzare that csx painted dozens of b36-7's, c39-8's and other various junk weeks or months before they retired it, but they have this good power out and about still in conrail garb

the deadlines in waycross and huntington looked like a new locomotive showroom to the untrained eye because of all the dead power with new paintjobs

money spent in the wrong places

#185300  by roadster

The older units were scheduled for their time in the shop. Class of units were ID'd for evaluation or as major failures occured the units went to the deadline even within weeks of receiving the new paint.

#200207  by U-Haul

If there are a number of units that need paint, but might be good for another year. (or less) Why not paint them with paint laying around the shop, paint them in one color with the locomotive's number and owner initials beneath the cab, or paint them black with a white cab roof. (I think black is an expensive color so maybe something else would be cheaper.)

WELCOME 2OO6

#200213  by glennk419

Any unit still in Conrail blue looks good to me, especially over NS black! A trip through the wash rack would be nice though.

#200244  by CSX Conductor

I have to agree 100% with CrazyNip. If a unit is close to the end of it's life, why paint it?!? It is definately money spent in a bad way.

Sometimes the uglier the unit, the better it runs, LOL. :P

#200872  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the conrail engines should stay in their colors, why waist money on paint jobs when it could go towards better things

#203267  by conrail_engineer

glennk419 wrote:Any unit still in Conrail blue looks good to me, especially over NS black! A trip through the wash rack would be nice though.
The wash racks are history. EPA standards...to run a wash rack, they have to have a waste-water system to remove oil from the wash water.

Conrail decided long ago it wasn't worth it. The wash rack in Collinwood has been out of service since before I hired out, 1998.

Frankly, if they can't or won't wash them, they really WOULD be better off painting them flat black.

#203368  by crazy_nip

conrail_engineer wrote:Frankly, if they can't or won't wash them, they really WOULD be better off painting them flat black.
even black gets dirty, look at the grungy SP units of years past

ns, SCL, n&w and southern units looked just as bad dirty, and they were black too

#203536  by CSX Conductor

It's a shame they can't be as clean as UP or BNSF power. :(

#203933  by crazy_nip

most UP power I see is filthy

for whatever reason, bnsf does seem to take some effort to keep their locomotives clean

at least their newer power