Railroad Forums 

• CSX Hurricane Katrina and the effects it has on CSXT

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#163375  by crazy_nip

FYI, I paid $3.16 at the ONLY gas station I could find on my way home from work today that still had gas

it is wild out there right now, fill up while you can

#163404  by charlie6017

Guys, please. Let's refrain from personally attacking others, regardless of what info is posted.

#163407  by charlie6017

Rochester NY area gas:

I paid 3.15 at Wilson Farms (Hilton NY)
I saw 3.59 at K&K (Parma Corners--2.5 miles south of town--roughly the same time!)

WTF??
 #163450  by CSX Conductor

Minimum of $3.42 here in Boston area, and that's not in the city! :(

Back on the topic of Katrina's effect on CSXT, just received an e-mail which shows several photos of CSXT property damaged by the storm.
 #163457  by octr202

CSX Conductor wrote:Minimum of $3.42 here in Boston area, and that's not in the city! :(

Back on the topic of Katrina's effect on CSXT, just received an e-mail which shows several photos of CSXT property damaged by the storm.
I second the ouch on gas prices. Glad I take the T to work...

Those photos are remarkable. I'm surprised by the photo showing the half a dozen or more KCS and UP units that appear to have been left there )some appear derailed). I would have thought they would have tried to tack all the power onto the last trains out of the area rather than abandon it to the hurricane.
 #163475  by CSX ENG

"Those photos are remarkable. I'm surprised by the photo showing the half a dozen or more KCS and UP units that appear to have been left there )some appear derailed). I would have thought they would have tried to tack all the power onto the last trains out of the area rather than abandon it to the hurricane."

Per CSX and FRA rules, nowadays you just can't "tack" on the power and/ or cars and evacuate the area. Take for instance, the locomotives-----per the "rules", all the locomotives must be properly MU'd, then calender day inspected, then have a Class 1 (Initial Terminal Test) brake test on the entire consist, ascertain that the rear headlight works, etc. All of this adds to the time it takes to move an engine consist. Now repeat the Class 1 Brake Test for all the cars, and we're talking hours (and hopefully there are no RIPS). Don't forget to find a fully-charged, working FRED for the hind end! Let's also hope the computers are still operating in the yard office to generate a work order, including proper hazmat information! With all this said and done, it's much easier to just "abandon ship" and worry about the equipment later.......

#163553  by crazy_nip

plus I doubt they could find the crews willing to stick around and ferry equipment around

also, I heard the arbitrarily closed the flood gates at some point sunday, basically locking everyone in

#163640  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah here is $3.15-$3.50 per gallon, thus translating into $30-35 into my 2005 Ford Escape. I wonder how much it would translate to in a CSX locomotive engine with 4000 gallons to fill in their tanks...

#163672  by crazy_nip

the railroads dont pay pump prices, they have negotiated prices with the big fuel companies, they also pay less taxes on them

they are likely paying around $1.50 per gallon, maybe less

#163699  by AmtrakFan

I did get a ton of Photos from the CSX Mobile Bay Bridge and the St. Louis Bridge it is a terrible mess.

#163702  by natethegreat

could you post them? or provide us with a link?

#163797  by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah here is $3.15-$3.50 per gallon, thus translating into $30-35 into my 2005 Ford Escape.
Should've bought the Hybrid version instead. :wink:

#163816  by crazy_nip

CSX Conductor wrote:Should've bought the Hybrid version instead. :wink:
only communists and terrorists drive hybrids

true americans help the oil companies and the economy by buying and driving gas guzzling SUV's...

#163867  by AmtrakFan

natethegreat wrote:could you post them? or provide us with a link?
I will try to post them. If I can't e-mail or PM me with you e-mail adress. How do I post them from my Computer?

#163897  by emd_SD_60

crazy_nip wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:Should've bought the Hybrid version instead. :wink:
only communists and terrorists drive hybrids

true americans help the oil companies and the economy by buying and driving gas guzzling SUV's...
I call those hybrids the "new age hippy mobile". Those things are only for vegans and environmentalists...I am none of the two thank god. :wink: I figure it's my duty helping the economy by filling up my four banger (2.3 in a 93 Ranger) every week...

Around here, in southern Illinois, a new fuel called E-85 (15% gasoline, 85% ethanol) is all the rage, and if you have a vehicle that is compatible, use it! It's a lot cheaper than straight gas, let me tell you. Here's a site with a complete listing of FFV's (fuel flexible vehicle).

http://www.ethanol.org/ACEFFVs.htm

Now if the locomotive companies could come out with a loco that runs on E-85 (15% diesel, 85% ethanol), that'd be something. Or just have them start running them on biodiesel or vegetable oil.