Railroad Forums 

• CSX bridge collapse, Alexandria, VA

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1473361  by mtuandrew

https://alextimes.com/2018/05/derailment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The partial derailment this morning is blocking both the CSX ex-RF&P and the NS ex-SOU mains, as well as all Amtrak service south of DC including Silvers, the Cardinal, the Crescent, and all Amtrak Virginia service. Metro Blue Line is unaffected.
 #1473367  by zuckie13

Yeah, unfortunately that is the bridge right after they separate where CSX crosses NS. Three tracks on that crossing, two on one bridge, the third on a single track. The single looks like the one that failed. I'd speculate it could be related to the crazy amount or rain we've had in the DC area over the past week - maybe weakened the supporting embankment. Some more photos https://wtop.com/alexandria/2018/05/fre ... s/slide/1/
 #1473371  by mtuandrew

zuckie13 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately that is the bridge right after they separate where CSX crosses NS. Three tracks on that crossing, two on one bridge, the third on a single track. The single looks like the one that failed. I'd speculate it could be related to the crazy amount or rain we've had in the DC area over the past week - maybe weakened the supporting embankment. Some more photos https://wtop.com/alexandria/2018/05/fre ... s/slide/1/
Thanks for the WTOP link. Hoping to get down there myself and take photos, but I don't know how likely that will be.
 #1473420  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

The bridge that failed was the one built for track 1 in the recent triple-tracking. They don't do construction projects like they used to. Engineering probably partially at fault (bad design for the skew involved and the embankment available to work with). Considering the near zilch traffic on the NS below, why not S-curve the NS to better favor the bridge embankment? The days of fast SOU freights into Pot Yard are over. I can envision it now, all the rummaging through the desks and computer files of the recently departed down in Jax for the plans so another set of the girders can be ordered.
 #1473525  by Literalman

I live about a mile from the wreck site. I heard a lot of whistling since last night, and this afternoon I walked down to where I could see the railroad but not the wreck site, and I saw an eastbound CSX freight creeping past, so the line must be open again.
 #1473530  by twropr

From what I hear TK3 is the only track open between AF and Franconia since M/W equipment is staged on TK 2 for cleanup of the wreck on TK 1.
I imagine there will be some delays of VRE Fredericksburg Line trains due to the congestion. Manassas Line trains will all use the Horn Track from AF to connect with the former Southern since the North Passenger TK is full of derailed freight cars.
Andy
 #1473542  by mmi16

twropr wrote:From what I hear TK3 is the only track open between AF and Franconia since M/W equipment is staged on TK 2 for cleanup of the wreck on TK 1.
I imagine there will be some delays of VRE Fredericksburg Line trains due to the congestion. Manassas Line trains will all use the Horn Track from AF to connect with the former Southern since the North Passenger TK is full of derailed freight cars.
Andy
Most Manassas line trains already use the Horn on a daily basis, the siding at AF can be used to meet opposing VRE's if necessary.
 #1474040  by davinp

There are 3 tracks in this area. The track that washed out is Track #1 that was built with the bridge several years ago. It originally ended in Alexandria and was extended to Franconia-Springfield. It is a separate section of the bridge. Track #1 is used mainly by freight trains

Tracks #2 and #3 are on a different section of the bridge that Amtrak & VRE uses

VRE Fredericksburg Trains pass through this bridge everyday, so I see that CSX has not yet rebuilt the track and the derailed cars are still there.

Until CSX rebuilds that track, Track #1 will remain out of service.

I shot video of it today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dalbtl39D8o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1482097  by videobruce

The title should of been changed to "Embankment" collapsed.
 #1483833  by KTHW

After looking at some old imagery of the bridge it looks like both bridges existed before the 3rd track was added. And they simply reconfigured the track alignment. I wonder if they’ll end up replacing both bridges.
 #1484657  by STrRedWolf

Late on the addition here, but...

Area of crash: http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=38.80 ... 05634&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the video, it looked like the track was pulled off the bridge and the train just followed a "new" alignment that CSX didn't approve of.
 #1494454  by mtuandrew

Not sure for how long, but repairs are done and the third track’s rails are shiny again. CSX dumped a lot of gray ballast and put in a retaining wall at the bottom to hold in that fill, so hopefully this issue won’t happen again.

I will try to get a picture next time I’m through, but I’m glad the capacity is back.