Railroad Forums 

• CSX and Intermodal Trailers

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#158621  by VPayne

I just wanted to see if anyone could help me understand how reducing the size of the trailer fleet is a good move for CSX. The linked PDF question and answer sessions does not seem very informative. I just finished watching a string of empty trailertrain flats pass through Nashville, TN and was trying to figure out what is going on with CSX's intermodal program. By the way what are the real schedules for CSX's intermodal trains through Nashville?

http://www.csxi.com/share/intermodal/pr ... F21497.pdf

#158692  by CSX Conductor

Perhaps they figured they would save money by reducing their trailer fleet and using contractors instead?

As for van train schedules, hard to say. Freight is unpredictable, even though most regular trains do have scheduled times.
[/url]

#158917  by Cowford

I can't open the PDF, but I'll throw in my two cents...

First of all, CSXI downsized their network in 2004... the result has been fewer loads and more traffic going to truck and NS. They also "rationalized' unprofitable business, i.e., raised the rates so that the business would either provide profitability or go away. By focusing on a smaller core system, CSXI's revenue and profitability have improved dramatically on a much smaller volume level.

So it could be about reducing their network, or the fact that railroads are continuing their direction away from trailers and toward containers. Something like two-thirds of all intermodal traffic is by container now. The railroads fill their trains with equipment from truckload carriers (e.g., Schneider, Hunt), LTL carriers (UPS, Yellow), steamship cos (COSCO, Maersk), third-parties (CH Robinson), and even shippers. They'd just as soon not supply equipment if they didn't have to. The railroads lease much of their trailer and container fleets and often assign them to multi-railroad pools. All in the name of efficiency... the less equipment needed, the lower the company's operating costs.

PS - Railroads also formed a national boxcar pool as well to improve equipment utilitization (not related to Railbox, but managed by TTX). It's not a perfect system, but has been pretty successful thus far.

#158993  by CSX Conductor

Cowford wrote:Railroads also formed a national boxcar pool as well to improve equipment utilitization (not related to Railbox, but managed by TTX).
Does this change demurrage rates of foreign cars at all?

#159997  by Cowford

No... demurrage charged to customers is the same for that equipment as boxcars outside the pool. Each railroad has thrown in X number of cars (each one has different participation levels). TTX oversees the fleet distribution, though each railroad decides on how to reposition the empties on their system. I'm not sure of all the nuts and bolts of the operation... maybe someone else better in-the-know will chime in?

#160049  by CSX Conductor

Cowford wrote:maybe someone else better in-the-know will chime in?
I was under the impression that you were about as in-the-know as anybody else here. :wink:

#160147  by ProRail

BNSF is no longer supplying rail trailers either. But most of this business is still moving on the rails in domestic 48-53' containers, plus the trailers owned by the big trucking companies such as Hunt and Schneider. But they too are converting to 53' domestic containers as its cheaper to maintain chassis pools than individual trailers.

The railroad owned conventional trailer is slowly being converted into domestic containers, though some railroads such as VTR have recently invested in 53' trailers.

#160287  by VPayne

I read it again and got a different slant. More that CSXI is trying to eliminate certain players who try to game the system by using railroad owned trailers and then return them where they cannot be used. However, I wonder what is the fate of the 89' flat on CSXI's lanes. How many more years to these cars have left in them. Twenty perhaps?

#160414  by Cowford

oh, conductor... I don't know EVERYTHING... and I'm happy to admit when I don't! :P