Railroad Forums 

• CSX Selling Trackage

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1458218  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:OK Mr. Trainguy, I should have said Wildwood vice Ocala.
Sorry but Wildwood isn't correct either. I think you need a geography lesson :)

I would think things would be different if CSX had direct access to the Port of Miami. Maybe a yard somewhere in southeast Florida could serve as a transfer point for IM and cargo from all three ports . . . Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. Or perhaps they are content with truck transfers between all three and Winter Haven? Traffic is pretty bad along that coast though.
 #1458219  by JimBoylan

Is CSX having a "fire sale", or an auction with reserve? Is putting almost the whole system up for sale, a few sections at a time, a way to find if any parts are worth more sold than kept?
 #1458222  by Gilbert B Norman

bostontrainguy wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:OK Mr. Trainguy, I should have said Wildwood vice Ocala.
Sorry but Wildwood isn't correct either. I think you need a geography lesson :)
Truce, Mr. Trainguy.

I concur that CSX wishes to serve Central Florida down to the 28th Parallel. With the line sale to the SunRail passenger agency and abandoning Wildwood to a bit North of Auburndale, it was my understanding they cobbled together several ACL branchlines to enable access to Tampa. How they serve Auburndale (citrus processing) amd their intermodal terminal at Winter Haven, perhaps you can enlighten me. Even if I "come.on down" every year (doing so this weekend), I haven't been over that way now in "quite a poke".

But we both agree that the Yäger disciples really do not expect to get much traffic from the South Florida ports. But whatever they get by highway from there, "watch your back" when driving US27. Those "concrete cowboys" that were law unto themselves driving through Downtown Miami (the tunnel plus the FEC maybe tamed them a bit) won't be any different on the open road.
 #1458226  by Ironman

JimBoylan wrote:Is CSX having a "fire sale", or an auction with reserve? Is putting almost the whole system up for sale, a few sections at a time, a way to find if any parts are worth more sold than kept?
Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Foote is being pressed by the BOD and wall street. He has to make a big move, and chopping up CSX is that move. what is going on has nothing to do with the T.

The B&A is gone, done, no longer a part of CSX. No CSX employees will operate and CSX will have no presence east of the Hudson, aka Selkirk. This is a total abandonment of N.E. by CSX, look for everything west of Springfield to be abandoned.

And this is happening fast.
 #1458233  by bostontrainguy

The invitation:

CSX Transportation (CSX) regularly assesses its ability to efficiently and effectively support the needs and requirements of its customers and the shipping public generally. As needs and requirements change, CSX undertakes efforts to sell, lease, discontinue, or abandon certain rail lines in accordance with applicable law.

If you are interested in operating a current or former CSX rail line for freight only purposes, please contact [email protected], or use the form below. Please provide contact information, geographic interest, and other pertinent information in that communication. Your inquiry should be sufficient enough to provide CSX with confidence as to your understanding of the applicable rail line and your ability to successfully operate it. Interested parties should not contact CSX customers or CSX employees.

In the event that CSX undertakes an effort to sell or lease a rail line, CSX will consider various factors when selecting and negotiating with potential new operators. In addition to financial considerations, CSX places considerable weight on a new operator’s ability to provide value to CSX and the shipping public over the long-term. For those operators with an existing relationship with CSX, CSX will consider the history and experience between the railroads, including such factors such as (a) compliance with terms and conditions of any existing contracts, (b) the level of interline business with CSX, and (c) timeliness of payments, outstanding operational and/or contractual disputes, and other like items.

CSX reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to reject any inquiry or proposal and to exclude any party throughout its process. No inquiry, proposal or offer to acquire any rail line will be binding on CSX unless and until CSX has executed and delivered a definitive written agreement providing for the sale of the rail line.
 #1458246  by justalurker66

JimBoylan wrote:Is CSX having a "fire sale", or an auction with reserve? Is putting almost the whole system up for sale, a few sections at a time, a way to find if any parts are worth more sold than kept?
Right now they are in the "study" phase, deciding whether or not to offer certain lines for sale. A couple of segments are being offered ... one line has already been eliminated from the study list. At the moment it seems that they are seeing if it would make more sense to keep or sell each of the listed lines and gauging the interest of qualified purchasers.
 #1458252  by Ironman

justalurker66 wrote:
Right now they are in the "study" phase, deciding whether or not to offer certain lines for sale. A couple of segments are being offered ... one line has already been eliminated from the study list. At the moment it seems that they are seeing if it would make more sense to keep or sell each of the listed lines and gauging the interest of qualified purchasers.
You are dead wrong on this. You are trying to make it sound like this is a normal thing, just putting feelers out there. You are letting the wool being pulled over your eyes, I will assure you that line (aka Sand Patch) is most definitely going to be sold. They just don't want that public knowledge yet, so they walked it back.

Wake up.
 #1458254  by sullysullinburg

Ironman wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:
You are dead wrong on this. You are trying to make it sound like this is a normal thing, just putting feelers out there. You are letting the wool being pulled over your eyes, I will assure you that line (aka Sand Patch) is most definitely going to be sold. They just don't want that public knowledge yet, so they walked it back.

Wake up.
I don’t mean to be rude but you seem to be saying a lot without backing it in anyway shape or form. I’d understand if you are simply making a prediction but the way you are talking it sounds like you know for a fact that certain things are going to happen. If you have something to back up these statement, great I’m sure we would all love to see it (provided you don’t work for CSX and sharing it would put your job in jeopardy).
 #1458256  by Woody

Ironman wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:Is CSX having a "fire sale", or an auction with reserve?
The B&A is gone, done, no longer a part of CSX. No CSX employees will operate and CSX will have no presence east of the Hudson, aka Selkirk. This is a total abandonment of N.E. by CSX, look for everything west of Springfield to be abandoned.

And this is happening fast.
You'd think there's a ready buyer for the segment Worcester-Springfield, or even Worcester-Albany, but the "invitation" below has this poison pill:
...If you are interested in ... operating a current or former CSX rail line for freight only purposes ...
Emphasis added.
 #1458258  by Gilbert B Norman

So Mr. Ironman, you are suggesting that if CSX does sell the B&A to a Short Line, there will no longer be a Class I serving New England.

The Port of Boston might not be too "happy 'bout that", which means politicians up that way might not be too "happy 'bout that". I think of how Boston got Amtrak Acela and electrification all the way when there is clearly less traffic than on the PRR end of things. Port served by two Class II's? How many maritime companies with their freedom to sail anywhere go to a Port with "questionable" rail service?

While I acknowledge that I was mistaken, this is why I thought the State wanted to buy the Florida East Coast. They had invested the "heap big wampum" to make the ports "world class" for the maritime industry beyond the Love Boats - and providing reliable service to the "open gateway" of Jacksonville, they could ensure their South Florida ports would be "in the game".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1458259  by Woody

Ironman wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:
Right now they are in the "study" phase, deciding whether or not to offer certain lines for sale. ...
... I assure you that line (aka Sand Patch) is most definitely going to be sold. They just don't want that public knowledge yet ...
You mean the CSX main line between Cumberland and Pittsburgh? The Capitol Ltd route?
 #1458260  by Ironman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:So Mr. Ironman, you are suggesting that if CSX does sell the B&A to a Short Line, there will no longer be a Class I serving New England.

The Port of Boston might not be too "happy 'bout that", which means politicians up that way might not be too "happy 'bout that". I think of how Boston got Amtrak Acela and electrification all the way when there is clearly less traffic than on the PRR end of things. Port served by two Class II's? How many maritime companies with their freedom to sail anywhere go to a Port with "questionable" rail service?

While I acknowledge that I was mistaken, this is why I thought the State wanted to buy the Florida East Coast. They had invested the "heap big wampum" to make the ports "world class" for the maritime industry beyond the Love Boats.
NS will be the class 1 serving N.E.
 #1458261  by Gilbert B Norman

Ironman wrote:NS will be the class 1 serving N.E.
OH????

Haven't there been enough reports around here about the less than reliable service the Boston & Maine has provided the NS with their "partnership"?
 #1458262  by Ironman

Woody wrote:
Ironman wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:
Right now they are in the "study" phase, deciding whether or not to offer certain lines for sale. ...
... I assure you that line (aka Sand Patch) is most definitely going to be sold. They just don't want that public knowledge yet ...
You mean the CSX main line between Cumberland and Pittsburgh? The Capitol Ltd route?
Yes, it was leaked prematurely.
 #1458263  by Ironman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Ironman wrote:NS will be the class 1 serving N.E.
OH????

Haven't there been enough reports around here about the less than reliable service the Boston & Maine has provided the NS with their "partnership"?
Now, yes. How long do you think the NS-Pan Am partnership will last with CSX giving up N.E.? M-ville will become the new hub using the Conn river into Springfield. I mean that's what we are talking about here with the B&A no longer being a Class 1 railroad.