Railroad Forums 

• CSX runaways in Indianapolis

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1442997  by BR&P

Another CSX embarrassment although this does not appear at first glance to be connected to the changes on high.

Last weekend in Indianapolis, two cars rolled out of their State Avenue yard, rolled downhill about 3.5 miles, and smacked into a standing train whose crew had been alerted and had gotten safely away. When the dust settled, and they were starting to evaluate the derailment, a frantic radio transmission informed them that 5 MORE cars - tank cars this time - were on their way. Those cars rolled down the same route and slammed into the derailed cars from the first incident a few minutes earlier.

No injuries, no hazmat altho one article says there was - but one can only imagine the uproar from company officials, FRA inspectors, municipal authorities, etc.

News article here: http://fox59.com/2017/08/25/authorities ... west-side/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1443010  by mmi16

BR&P wrote:Another CSX embarrassment although this does not appear at first glance to be connected to the changes on high.

Last weekend in Indianapolis, two cars rolled out of their State Avenue yard, rolled downhill about 3.5 miles, and smacked into a standing train whose crew had been alerted and had gotten safely away. When the dust settled, and they were starting to evaluate the derailment, a frantic radio transmission informed them that 5 MORE cars - tank cars this time - were on their way. Those cars rolled down the same route and slammed into the derailed cars from the first incident a few minutes earlier.

No injuries, no hazmat altho one article says there was - but one can only imagine the uproar from company officials, FRA inspectors, municipal authorities, etc.

News article here: http://fox59.com/2017/08/25/authorities ... west-side/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You are about a month late and a dollar short. Happened in early August.
 #1443012  by BR&P

mmi16 wrote:You are about a month late and a dollar short. Happened in early August.
Well maybe for you, but for those of us who don't have a time machine it happened August 25th. So I should have said "weekend before last", or "less than 2 weeks ago". As for the "dollar short" part, that's the story of my life! Image
 #1443112  by mmi16

BR&P wrote:
mmi16 wrote:You are about a month late and a dollar short. Happened in early August.
Well maybe for you, but for those of us who don't have a time machine it happened August 25th. So I should have said "weekend before last", or "less than 2 weeks ago". As for the "dollar short" part, that's the story of my life! Image
Actually happened August 5th. Indy paper got the audio clip of the Dispatchers Radio and published it on the 25th. That audio clip, I am sure, would not have been released through 'official channels', even though it does demonstrate complete professionalism of all parties participating in the various communications.
 #1443129  by BR&P

mmi16 wrote: Actually happened August 5th. Indy paper got the audio clip of the Dispatchers Radio and published it on the 25th.
Were there two separate incidents in Indy, about 3 weeks apart? The link I posted was from 10:40AM on the 25th. It does not agree with the "cars running away from the yard" scenario, but I put that down to the media not being up to speed. The one in the link says

several train cars with grain and liquid were parked on the main line for some unknown reason, and then the cars were hit by a train coming through because it couldn’t stop on time.

The collision occurred at South Harding Street and West Henry Street just before 10 a.m.

Authorities say the leaking chemical is non-toxic and non-flammable.

So that's a separate deal entirely? Image
 #1443413  by Gadfly

Is CSX saving money by cutting down on DERAILS? :P :P :P :P Seriously, leaving cuts of cars on a main line is asking for all kinds of trouble, not to mention runaways