Railroad Forums 

• CSX in Washington DC

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1441847  by trainguy2024

I am wondering how often CSX runs on Sundays in the D.C. Area. I know benning yard is nearby and I found good spot near Virginia Ave. any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
 #1441855  by mmi16

Benning is astride the 'Alexanderia Extension' that is CSX's freight route on the I-95 corridor.

Under non EHH conditions
Richmond-Brunswick was 2 Manifest and 2 Intermodals each way each day.
Richmond-Baltimore-Philadelphia - 2 Manifest and 1 Intermodal each way each day.
Sealston-Jessup & return the Trash train runs M-F.
There are Coal Trains between Brunswick and Benning and to Richmond - empties for both these move back to Brunswick most of the time.
The Coal trains to Benning then move on from Benning up the Landover Sub to Bowie on the NEC and then down the Popes Creek sub to the Morgantown power station.

At CP Virginia you have all the freights above except the Benning coal trains plus Amtrak and VRE (both Fredericksburg and Manassas Line trains)
 #1448018  by DC Railfanner

trainguy2024 wrote:I am wondering how often CSX runs on Sundays in the D.C. Area. I know benning yard is nearby and I found good spot near Virginia Ave. any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
It is pretty busy along Virginia Avenue, with a good amount of freight, especially in the morning, and Amtrak. VRE floods the line on weekday afternoons, and I have found that after 3PM it is ALL VRE, with a few Amtraks.