Railroad Forums 

• CSX Train Orders

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1426785  by STrRedWolf

For the past 10 years I've been riding the MARC train, I've only found a copy of CSX's train orders once, when a crew left it on the train. It was at least 5 years ago.

Today, it happened again. I noticed a left behind copy, and picked it up. I won't reveal any details except that it was for today, and 870's trainset became 406 at Union Station DC.

Is there anyone at JAX who can slip in a "Keep train orders secure" message for this afternoon?
 #1426810  by mmi16

STrRedWolf wrote:For the past 10 years I've been riding the MARC train, I've only found a copy of CSX's train orders once, when a crew left it on the train. It was at least 5 years ago.

Today, it happened again. I noticed a left behind copy, and picked it up. I won't reveal any details except that it was for today, and 870's trainset became 406 at Union Station DC.

Is there anyone at JAX who can slip in a "Keep train orders secure" message for this afternoon?
No! Train messages for MARC trains on CSX come from Baltimore.
 #1426829  by STrRedWolf

mmi16 wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:For the past 10 years I've been riding the MARC train, I've only found a copy of CSX's train orders once, when a crew left it on the train. It was at least 5 years ago.

There's no dispatcher in Halethorpe, nor Locus Point (aka Baltimore) per data I have. Plus, these orders look like they were faxed to Brunswick.
 #1426843  by Noel Weaver

Train orders have not been used for a good number of years, the NORAC book provides for Form D and CSX ;uses a similar format.
Noel Weaver
 #1426880  by mmi16

STrRedWolf wrote:
mmi16 wrote:

There's no dispatcher in Halethorpe, nor Locus Point (aka Baltimore) per data I have. Plus, these orders look like they were faxed to Brunswick.
4724 Hollins Ferry Road - Halethorpe - been there since June 15, 2008 - I retired from there Dec. 19, 2016 after 51.5 years - your data is WRONG. The Dispatcher that initiates the Fax is at Halethorpe, the computer that sends the Fax is at Jacksonville. Train messages are only faxed when the dedicated Train Message Printer is down, for whatever reason. Faxed orders should have 'sent by CSX Technofax' on them - if not then the orders had to be read back to the Dispatcher by the crew upon their receipt over 'common' fax.
 #1426884  by STrRedWolf

mmi16 wrote: 4724 Hollins Ferry Road - Halethorpe - been there since June 15, 2008 - I retired from there Dec. 19, 2016 after 51.5 years - your data is WRONG. The Dispatcher that initiates the Fax is at Halethorpe, the computer that sends the Fax is at Jacksonville. Train messages are only faxed when the dedicated Train Message Printer is down, for whatever reason. Faxed orders should have 'sent by CSX Technofax' on them - if not then the orders had to be read back to the Dispatcher by the crew upon their receipt over 'common' fax.
Then somebody's snowing over MARCops then. 2003 to 2014 they contacted Halethorpe to have the Commuter desk talk to the dispatcher in Jacksonville. Sometimes they called Jacksonville directly because it was too early.

How do I know? I worked with them on their tracking database.
 #1426921  by mmi16

STrRedWolf wrote:
mmi16 wrote: 4724 Hollins Ferry Road - Halethorpe - been there since June 15, 2008 - I retired from there Dec. 19, 2016 after 51.5 years - your data is WRONG. The Dispatcher that initiates the Fax is at Halethorpe, the computer that sends the Fax is at Jacksonville. Train messages are only faxed when the dedicated Train Message Printer is down, for whatever reason. Faxed orders should have 'sent by CSX Technofax' on them - if not then the orders had to be read back to the Dispatcher by the crew upon their receipt over 'common' fax.
Then somebody's snowing over MARCops then. 2003 to 2014 they contacted Halethorpe to have the Commuter desk talk to the dispatcher in Jacksonville. Sometimes they called Jacksonville directly because it was too early.

How do I know? I worked with them on their tracking database.
Dates I quoted are accurate! Commuter clerk, when it is filled, is at Halethorpe from 0500 to 2100 M-F. When it is not filled the responsibilities are covered by the Amtrak clerk in Jacksonville. MARC cops, after June 15, 2008 are smoking rope if they think the dispatching for CSX-MARC territory is done in Jacksonville. I retired as Asst. Chief Dispatcher at Halethorpe and obviously KNOW each Dispatcher in the office that controls CSX lines from Philadelphia to Richmond and Balt/Wash to New Castle, PA and Huntington, WV
 #1426956  by STrRedWolf

mmi16 wrote: Dates I quoted are accurate! Commuter clerk, when it is filled, is at Halethorpe from 0500 to 2100 M-F. When it is not filled the responsibilities are covered by the Amtrak clerk in Jacksonville. MARC cops, after June 15, 2008 are smoking rope if they think the dispatching for CSX-MARC territory is done in Jacksonville. I retired as Asst. Chief Dispatcher at Halethorpe and obviously KNOW each Dispatcher in the office that controls CSX lines from Philadelphia to Richmond and Balt/Wash to New Castle, PA and Huntington, WV
Oh I won't dispute it.... except that smoking rope part. MARC Operations at Washington Blvd is in a different building from the bus barns, and they use chain. :-D
 #1427066  by mmi16

There is nothing 'Top Secret' in train messages.
 #1427302  by spatcher

STrRedWolf wrote:
mmi16 wrote:There is nothing 'Top Secret' in train messages.
So scanning them in and posting them is... :)

Nah. As much as I'd like to leak business secrets, these can wait a few weeks.
There are no "business secrets" on them.