Railroad Forums 

• Citra, FL collision

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1408941  by glennk419

It appears that the collision occurred at the north end of a long passing siding. Guessing that the northbound either missed the signal or slipped through the switch into the path of the southbound.
 #1409091  by railfaned

My local cable provider http://www.mynews13.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some aerial photos. They updated the number of derailed cars to 32 and up to 7400 gallons of fuel spilled. It still says that there are only two with minor injuries. I wonder how much will be rerouted via FEC and back up to Wildwood and Ocala?
 #1409116  by Noel Weaver

I suppose freight could be detoured to the FEC but it would add a lot of miles and there are 27 daily passenger movements in each direction between Miami and West Palm Beach as it is so it would not be a good fit. Not likely to happen.
Noel Weaver
 #1409255  by Ocala Mike

Couldn't the "A-Line" be used in a pinch? What about the Florida Northern through Williston?
 #1409740  by railfaned

As of 4:08pm, the Marion County Sheriff reported that the northbound engineer had admitted to falling asleep at the throttle.
 #1409753  by mmi16

Noel Weaver wrote:I suppose freight could be detoured to the FEC but it would add a lot of miles and there are 27 daily passenger movements in each direction between Miami and West Palm Beach as it is so it would not be a good fit. Not likely to happen.
Noel Weaver
Detours are not simple operations. Some segments of railroad cannot handle multiple trains or trains in both directions. In addition QUALIFIED crew resources are finite. Crews available for a particular line segment are sized to protect the normal level of traffic on that line segment; there aren't excess QUALIFIED crews to operate detour movements. Just because there is a alternate route between A and Z doesn't mean it is able to be used for detours.