Railroad Forums 

• Question regarding CSX activity in Cambridge, MA

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#155571  by The Dodge

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance as I am not a railroad hobbyist or professional, but I've found sites like this to be helpful from time to time.

I will be instrumenting a part of a new building straddling the rails near the intersection of Main and Cambridge Streets in Cambridge, Massachusetts in an attempt to record vibration data from a train passing below. I'll be leaving my data acquisition equipment running in the building overnight in the hopes of capturing the building's response to a passing train in a data file. The trouble is, I don't know whether or not a train will be passing through on that rail line on the night I'll be doing this. The general contractor (the building is still under construction) has told me that he doesn't know the train schedule, but he does know that it's a CSX train. Does anyone know what the usual shedule is for this part of the line (the tracks that run through Cambridge along Vassar Street), or does anyone know where I should look for this information? I've been poking around on the internet for a while and haven't managed to come up with anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#155623  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i don't think the freight runs at night, i believe it goes through there around 3-6 pm

CSX conductor will be able to answer that question for you, hopefully :-D

#155673  by CSX Conductor

Click here for another thread which has already had some discussion of the traffic.

Most movements on this line (The Grand Junction Running Track), are between about 4pm & midnight.

Here's what uses it:

CSX local B721
Amtrak Downeaster for maintanence at SouthHampton Street
MBTA's Readville switcher.