Railroad Forums 

• Tropicana OJ train question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1346248  by Bobby S

On Aug 18, 2015, at approx. 6AM, I observed a train just going over the bridge from Perryville MD to Havre De Grace MD. This train had 2 engines and approx.18 Tropicana cars. I usually see the 100+ Tropicana train every so often. What was the reason for this small Tropicana train???
 #1346321  by ccutler

That's a short one!. I usually see 35 to 50 car Tropicana trains which terminate at Tropicana's warehouse in Jersey City NJ. You can see some of those trains, along with many others, pass Bound Brook NJ by going on YouTube and searching for "bound brook railfanning"
 #1346329  by mmi16

Sounds like you are talking about the Westbound empty Juice Train - Q741 - the train originates from the Tropicana facility in New Jersey with whatever empties Tropicana makes available for return to Florida for loading. Like any other industrial concern, Tropicana will have it's own problems that will cause it's output (in this case empty rail cars) to vary from day to day.
 #1348637  by 10more years

They have reduced the size of juice train some, but its been a while back. They used to run 60-65 cars train when loaded. The trains now run 30- 40 cars. Southbound empties train run as Q743's or maybe L's. Loads run as Q (or L) 740's. 18 is mighty short, 100 is really long, and would be a really heavy train if loaded.
 #1388171  by railfaned

Down here in Wildwood Florida, I now see the Juice Train with as little as 10 cars. The Florida Orange crop has been badly damaged by the Citrus blight. The train just seems to get shorter and shorter.
 #1388258  by mmi16

Raced at Sebring in January and didn't see the normal amount of citrus hauling truck operating up and down US 27 between Sebring and I-4.
 #1388602  by railfaned

20160612_142905_Wildwood Yard Crop.jpg
On Sunday 6/12, the Juice Train ran n/b with 30 cars thru Wildwood FL. Only 2 cars without graffiti on them. Are they tagged up in NJ? or FL?