Railroad Forums 

• Question about Martinsburg WV

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1337055  by gprimr1

I was at Martinsburg over the weekend and I was wondering if that little spur off the station is ever used? it looks like it goes down to the concrete/gravel plant, but there's also a connection to the Winchester and Western.

I will say I was suprised to see the Capital Limited stopping on the far track. That must screw up things for CSX having to keep the other track clear so people can board the train.
 #1337093  by ExCon90

I would think that was CSX's choice. (I was told by an Amtrak conductor that UP puts the Surfliners on whatever track they want at Camarillo, and waiting passengers don't know until the last minute whether they have to use the bridge to the far platform.) Maybe CSX had no imminent move on the near track and found it easier than crossing the Capitol over and back.
 #1337305  by gprimr1

Makes sense.

Any info on the spur track?
 #1337348  by mmi16

The spur leads back to the MARC service facility for the trains that originate and terminate at Martinsburg.

Can be found on Google Earth at
39°27'46.21" N 77°57'44.59" W
 #1337560  by gprimr1

I was refering to the Frog Hollow Industrial Track. Is that in use?
 #1337673  by mmi16

gprimr1 wrote:I was refering to the Frog Hollow Industrial Track. Is that in use?
There are industries on the Frog Hollow IT - they are served by B714 that works at night.