Railroad Forums 

• NEW OPERATING RULE?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1314839  by shlustig

Is it true that CSX now has a rule that outlaws walking beside moving equipment?

If so, how has it impacted yard crews switching and the productivity at hump yards?
 #1315425  by TotalLamer

Only on shoving movements. The Conductor must be in a "place of safety" and not move from that place while the shove is in progress. On the plus side, this gets rid of all that "CSXT 1234, I'm on the ground, Engineer's side standing at the #7 switch blah blah blah blah come back 6 on a safety stop" nonsense that was required before. So now it's just something like "CSXT 1234, in a safe place come back 6 on a safety stop" or whatever.

Not being able to move while shoving is incredibly obnoxious though. Just another example of CSX's absurd mentality that the answer to everything is MORE RULES. But when you have an entire department dedicated to writing rules, I suppose they have to keep coming up with new ones or else they're out of a job...

I've got an idea... if they just stopped running trains, no one would ever get hurt! BRILLIANT! :-D