Railroad Forums 

• Looking for info on CSX U23B 33O5

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#150075  by TerryC

Have anyone here ever ridden, seen, or operated U23B 33O5? It was retired by CSX in 2OOO, but I want some more information than. Like encounters with the unit, sighting, and etcetera. Thanks.

keep searching keep finding
1929th member to join forum

#150094  by crazy_nip

it is being used daily on the juice train, your info is incorrect

#150108  by TerryC

crazy_nip, I would have to be DRUNK to belive that bullsheet. Speaking of bullsheet. http://www.bullsheet.com/RosterMenu.html

#150183  by dti407

TerryC wrote:It was retired by CSX in 2000
That's why you can't find it on a current CSX roster.

#150202  by crazy_nip

but he wants more information!

#151863  by TerryC

[quote="crazy_nip"]but he wants more information![/quote]

He sure does. Asking later will not change anything

1929th member to join this forum

#151928  by CSX ENG

TerryC and I both need to know what kind of brake shoes this unit has........

#151948  by crazy_nip

CSX ENG wrote:TerryC and I both need to know what kind of brake shoes this unit has........
this kind

#152003  by TerryC

CSX ENG, there is no point in shoving words into my mouth. Maybe you need to know what type of brake shoes this U23B had, but I can live with out that information. If anybody does know, please feel free to type in the name.

#152044  by ACLfan

I checked my photo lists, and CSX # 3305 has eluded my camera.

Seeing that it is a GE U23B, my guess is that it was sold for scrap.

Of course, it could be sitting around somewhere, either at CSX or at some rebuilder's facility. CSX has a GE U36B still sitting around at the Waycross Shops. So, it could be anywhere.

ACLfan

#152094  by crazy_nip

its not anywhere on csx property

back in '99 or 2000, they rounded up all the U boats and sold them (except the that is the waycross shop unit)

some of the still functioning U23B's and U18B's were sold to some shortlines in the south

I dont know why they would wan them, but whatever

the pickens rr in south carolina got several of them, they were still painted in MOW orange at the time

most of them were just scrapped, they were worn out junk by the time they were retired, and sat rusting for a few years

#152227  by Robert Paniagua

some of the still functioning U23B's and U18B's were sold to some shortlines in the south

Some of those U23B's I think may be here in Boston (QBT), but those might have been directly from Conrail itself, none going through CSX before Quincy Bay Terminal got their hands on them.

#152326  by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:some of the still functioning U23B's and U18B's were sold to some shortlines in the south

Some of those U23B's I think may be here in Boston (QBT), but those might have been directly from Conrail itself, none going through CSX before Quincy Bay Terminal got their hands on them.
Rob, I'm pretty sure all the QBT GE's are ex-Conrail, regardless of whether they were purchased from CR itself or from CSXT after the merger.

#152556  by rocketman

3305 may have been turned into an RCO platform. I do recall this engine sitting at Selkirk for a while. When it arrived it was being used as a parts donor and was already missing some power assemblies and other various parts. I would like to say I recall it being sent to Waycross or Huntington for the RCO shove platform conversion.