Railroad Forums 

• Milepost 270 On Mohawk Sub

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1296852  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Hi, I am a huge railroad history aficionado, and frequently watch trains and railfan along CSX's Mohawk Subdivision at Canastota, NY. This spring, I noticed that NYC era concrete milepost 270 has been severed completely from its base and has been lying on the ground for months along the right-of-way. A new aluminum type milemarker has since taken its place. I was wondering what will happen to the defunct concrete milemarker? If it's just going to be disposed of, I'd love to have it for my collection. Send me a P.M. or email, if you know if some kind of arrangement can be made. Thanks-NYC81
 #1300337  by lvrr325

IMHO if it dissapeared right about the time it really starts snowing around here, by the time the snow melts no one's going to notice it's gone or care about why/where it went.

The problem is it's going to take two or three guys to move the thing, so it's not too likely to go anywhere on it's own.
 #1300607  by AMK0123

Well since you mentioned cops I'll add my two cents. Like lvrr325 stated, I'm sure no one would be the wiser is it disappeared. However, just so you know the other side of the coin is not only are you trespassing on railroad property but also committing petit larceny. That milepost while originally placed there by NYC is now owned by CSX, even though they have replaced the marker with a reflective marker....
P.S. not that I advise this but if you were to take something without permission, the last thing you may want to do is post it on a public forum....
 #1300806  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

AMK0123 wrote:Well since you mentioned cops I'll add my two cents. Like lvrr325 stated, I'm sure no one would be the wiser is it disappeared. However, just so you know the other side of the coin is not only are you trespassing on railroad property but also committing petit larceny. That milepost while originally placed there by NYC is now owned by CSX, even though they have replaced the marker with a reflective marker....
P.S. not that I advise this but if you were to take something without permission, the last thing you may want to do is post it on a public forum....

Obviously I was only joking about heisting the MP. I have no intentions of obtaining it illegally. My intentions were to spread the word amongst the CSX community that I was interested in the marker should it be destined for the junkyard sometime in the future. It wont be there forever, and someone from the railroad will eventually be in charge of removing it from the site. I'd just hate to see such a neat piece of railroad history end up in the dumpster rather than being salvaged for its historical significance.
 #1303834  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

So I sent an email to CSX about a week ago asking if I could have the mile marker, given that it no longer serves any purpose, and I wanted to preserve it due to the historical significance. I kindly asked that when it is cleared from the site by a MOW team, if I'd be able to pick it up. I then received a letter in the mail today informing me that the company cannot sell or donate surplus to the public due to safety reasons. Kinda funny considering that it wasn't that long ago that they dumped two trains, on two separate occasions all over the ground on each side of this very milepost. I believe both incidents made the national news. Anyways, does anyone know what will happen to it? Is there anyway the village could salvage it, perhaps put some sort of plaque on it and stick it somewhere in the ground on the old NYC main along railroad st.? I'd just hate to see it discarded. And NO I have no intentions of illegally harvesting it.
 #1303880  by Dick H

The key word there is "public". CSX sells scrap and other unwanted items all the time to "dealers".
Has CSX never donated or sold buildings, equipment, etc. to any municipality? or museum, etc.?