Railroad Forums 

• CSX Business Train Sideswiped - Moncrief

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1216222  by roadster

When it comes to the OCS, they are pretty anal about it. Since it is seen by, not only CSX royalty, but shippers and other dignitary's. It's CSX's image to they're customers and friends. You don't want scratches, dents and dings on your corporate image.
 #1216406  by Freddy

BR&P wrote:
Freddy wrote:Where they kept now?
Go back 3 posts before yours, already answered.
Already read that. It's not telling me anything. They used to be parked right out the back doors of the old division offices, which, of course aren't there anymore.
 #1216480  by charlie6017

Freddy wrote:
BR&P wrote:
Freddy wrote:Where they kept now?
Go back 3 posts before yours, already answered.
Already read that. It's not telling me anything. They used to be parked right out the back doors of the old division offices, which, of course aren't there anymore.
I don't understand how....."A small yard in Jacksonville,fenced in and well light,guarded,and not far from CSX HQ is the "home"
of the CSX biz fleet"....could be more clear. Evidently because those old division offices are no longer there, the small yard in JAX
is the place where the OCS is kept--under close surveillance.

Maybe it's just me, but Backshophoss' post made the info clear.

Charlie
 #1216512  by Freddy

All I'm asking is are they out at Baldwin yard,Moncrief? I'd just like to know. A fenced in place somewhere could be anywhere. What I'd like to know, probably only somebody in T&E service around Jacksonville knows.
 #1216566  by charlie6017

Ah, okay......I didn't realize that there was more than one yard in Jacksonville. I understand where
you're coming from then. Living up here in New York, I'm hardly familiar with the JAX area.

Charlie
 #1216618  by Backshophoss

The Biz fleet/OCS yard was in articles in MR and TRAINS ,on the same month as well,however I cannot remember the year published
A hunt thru the "All time Index"(MR+TRAINS) may get you results.
Had bad directions to a warehouse in NE Jacksonville,the street was at the stub end of that yard,the only clean spot on that street,
HEAVY METAL fencing paved/landscaped roads between the tracks and plenty of security(Cameras and Guards).
IF the I-10/I-95 Jct is considered "center city",the Biz fleet yard is in the NE Quadrent.
 #1216639  by Freddy

Backshophoss wrote:The Biz fleet/OCS yard was in articles in MR and TRAINS ,on the same month as well,however I cannot remember the year published
A hunt thru the "All time Index"(MR+TRAINS) may get you results.
Had bad directions to a warehouse in NE Jacksonville,the street was at the stub end of that yard,the only clean spot on that street,
HEAVY METAL fencing paved/landscaped roads between the tracks and plenty of security(Cameras and Guards).
IF the I-10/I-95 Jct is considered "center city",the Biz fleet yard is in the NE Quadrent.
OK, got it. I'm familiar with that section of town. Yeah you'd need all the security you could lay your hands on.
 #1216673  by mmi16

The Office Car fleet's home is in West Jacksonville, on property that, in a previous life, was SAL's West Jax shop. It is off McDuff Ave North of the parking lot for the Jacksonville Division Office Building that got remodeled into the Centralized Dispatch Center. The Office Car yard is separate from Moncrief Yard.
 #1216961  by BandA

Why not put sensors on the remote controlled unit that detect objects in the train envelope ahead. The train could stop automatically and send a warning alarm.
 #1217802  by Flat-Wheeler

BandA wrote:Why not put sensors on the remote controlled unit that detect objects in the train envelope ahead. The train could stop automatically and send a warning alarm.
Because it would cost money. Money that should otherwise be going towards an onboard crew.
 #1217806  by Flat-Wheeler

BTW... It really is strange how the posters on here from Western NY, my original birthplace, are so clueless about the South, but yet so rude and difficult on this site. Do you fellas think you are kings of this site or something ? Or do you own a railroad ? Some of you I have dealt with your attitudes before on here years ago, and you are either getting worse or just have total disregard for folks down South. (Of course there is more than one Yard in a large city such as Jacksonville.)
I cannot wait for another rude smart aleck reply from one of you guys. SMH
Sorry Freddy, about us NY'rs... we're not all like that.
 #1217929  by sd80mac

BandA wrote:Why not put sensors on the remote controlled unit that detect objects in the train envelope ahead. The train could stop automatically and send a warning alarm.

It wouldn't make any difference.. it seems to me that both of these trains were moving toward to the same switch and the engineer on OCS may not able to see that switcher was pacing along couple feet behind... and sensors wouldnt work as it would sense the trains on next tracks and it would stops as well.. If u are thinking of videocamera, it wouldnt work. the lens would be facing directly ahead, not the side. If videocamera are wide lens, then the video would be small and hard to see what's ahead in the distance for this job - not like the rear view videocamera on the newer vehicles which we only need to see what is right behind us, not in far distance.

its not win-win for anyone...