Railroad Forums 

• Simulated Obstruction

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1204393  by CPSK

Hi;
I happened to be listening to my scanner on the CSX River sub channel, in Teaneck NJ this afternoon.
A train (Q409) had just gone south on track 2 and was getting a crew change at CP3.
Q439 came south shortly afterwards, and received a restricting signal at CP10 S with the switch lined main to track 2.
Q439 contacted the NI dispatcher to find what his orders were. Dispatcher told him to hold at CP7 and that he would be following Q409 who was stopped at CP3.
A minute later Q439 toned up the dispatcher again to inform him that there was an obstruction at mp 8.8.
The dispatcher asked Q439 what sort of obstruction it was, and whether it could be removed by the crew.
Q439 replied that it was a simulated obstruction.
Trainmaster contacted Q439 to have him stop his train at mp 9.0.
Train came to a stop, and sat for about 10 minutes. Then trainmaster informed Q439 that the obstruction had been removed and he was clear of all track and equipment, and for the crew of Q439 to 'have a great day'.
Q439 then toned up NI again to let him know that the obstruction had been removed, and was given orders to proceed on track 2 to stop behind the Q409.

Being that I had never heard of a simulated obstruction, I Googled 'CSX Simulated Obstruction' and came up with this: http://www.utu851.org/Award%203.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By the gist of this file, simulated obstructions are used to test the crew's response to obstructed switches, etc.
I'm curious about this now. Are simulated obstructions used frequently? And if so, why was this one at a point in the track where there is no switch. The Q439 had just crossed CP10 with a restricting signal, and the next switch is CP7, at about mp 7.8.
Also, did the restricting signal at CP10 have anything to do with the simulated obstruction? I would assume that it was set by the dispatcher, but I had thought it had something to do with the fact that there was another train stopped south of CP5, and the dispatcher wanted the Q439 to stop short of CP7 so as not to block any crossings. There are no crossings between New Bridge Road just north of CP10 and the pedestrian crossing at Fort Lee Road, about 0.25 mi north of CP7.

Thanks for any info.

FW
 #1204397  by Freddy

Trainmaster was doing an efficiency check. When I was a maintainer I'd get called from the signal center in Jacksonville about track lights/indications coming and going only to get out
there and find out some trainmaster had been putting a shunt down to knock down signals in order to get his monthly checks made but hadn't told the dispatcher or the signal center.
Used to piss me off, reason being,on the next morning conference call I'd have to inform my supervisor about what I'd found or didn't find and how long I'd stayed out there trying to track it down.
 #1204401  by charlie6017

I'm not a railroader and never was, but I believe this is also referred to as a "banner test".

Charlie
 #1204416  by Freddy

Some of the current CSX conductors and engineers could probably offer a good deal on insight, as to how they've handled it out on the road.
 #1204433  by LocoCam

Getting "bannered" is fairly common in North Jersey. Yes the Restricting is related, the Trainmaster prob shunted the tracks causing the Restricting signal, otherwise an approach would have been given. Crews know if they have a approach to stop at "cc" boards until dispatch tells them to proceed to 7. The simulated obstruction is a construction sign with a flashing light on mains, and can only be set up if a restricting signal is given. In the yard they don't have to have the light on & can be setup at any time.
 #1204462  by CPSK

LocoCam wrote:Getting "bannered" is fairly common in North Jersey. Yes the Restricting is related, the Trainmaster prob shunted the tracks causing the Restricting signal, otherwise an approach would have been given. Crews know if they have a approach to stop at "cc" boards until dispatch tells them to proceed to 7. The simulated obstruction is a construction sign with a flashing light on mains, and can only be set up if a restricting signal is given. In the yard they don't have to have the light on & can be setup at any time.
Thanks for the explanation. What exactly does a restricting signal mean? Train must be 'prepared to stop'?

FW
 #1204475  by Railjunkie

Per CSX operating rules. Restricted speed. A speed that will permit stopping within one half the range of vision it must also permit stopping short of a train a car an obstruction a stop signal a derail or an improperly lined switch, it must permit looking out for broken rail. It will not exceed 15 mph.

Basically you hit, run through or over something your screwed. As any professional railroader will tell you its a method of operation not a speed.
 #1204605  by roadster

Charlie is right. This is referred to as "Banner test". Any time a train is required to operate at "Restricted Speed", a banner test may be preformed by managers/officials. The "banner" is meant to simulate a trains EOT (flashing red light), box car or any type of obstruction. If it is struck by the train, the crew was not properly operating under restricted proceed requirements and faces a few weeks at home to contemplate their error. In a situation on signaled main track, such as noted in the lead post, the train Dsp. must be advised prior, by the Official conducting the test and that the tracks are going to be shunted. So they were well aware of the test before the crew reported the situation. Officials will also call in crossing failures to test the call centers response time, the Dsprs response time for issuing EC-1s and the trains crews following the proper rules, and procedures for traversing through a grade crossing warning device malfunction, activation failure. CSX has also introduced a "Misaligned switch banner". This is a 6" high, 4 foot long banner, white with red and yellow reflective strips and "STOP" printed in the middle. In a yard or other than main track, this is placed between the switch points of a hand operated switch to simulate a switch lined against the trains intended path. the train must stop prior to the clearance point of the tracks converging at the switch. CSX marks this spot with a "Yellow" painted Tie. Violating such will again, result in undesired, unpaid time at home. The Albany Division has suffered a number of incidents this spring and "operations Testing" is currently, very frequent and repetitive.
One further note. The dispatchers can not set signal lights to display any type of signal indication. When they line a route with the computer and submit for passage. The computer displays the proper signal for the route requested and track occupancy conditions. Hence if the track circuit is shunted, it will show as occupied and the signal can only display, "Restricting". Another scenario, is the Dsp., "talking by the Red" aka giving a train permission to pass a Stop Signal. Restricted Speed required until the lead wheels of the lead engine have passed a more favorable signal or entered DCS territory.
 #1204612  by CPSK

Thanks guys, for your thorough explanation of my question. I have learned a lot from this thread. It's good to know that the railroad is paying attention to safety issues.
FW
 #1205525  by cobra30689

They get creative down here on the RF&P every once in awhile. Miles in advance the dispatcher will call you up and give you an EC-1 for Restricted Speed between two points. In between those points will be a shunted signal and a banner. Once they pull the banner and your cabs come up to clear, there is a boss back there with a radar gun hoping you stand on the throttle, forget you're within EC-1 limits, and violate Restricted Speed......
 #1205756  by Noel Weaver

Let's not forget these tests are FEDERAL requirements, the result of various incidents that have been written in blood over a period of months and years. The FEDS also require strict records of these tests, who conducts them, where, how and more and the records had better be in order too. Of course tests of this nature were conducted years ago too but I don't think "banner testing" took place until sometime in the early 90's. I remember trainmasters and road foremen out doing efficiency testing back in the 60's and 70's as well and it was not uncommon even back then before the FEDS got in to the act much more recently.
Noel Weaver
 #1206228  by supernova1972

cobra30689 wrote:They get creative down here on the RF&P every once in awhile. Miles in advance the dispatcher will call you up and give you an EC-1 for Restricted Speed between two points. In between those points will be a shunted signal and a banner. Once they pull the banner and your cabs come up to clear, there is a boss back there with a radar gun hoping you stand on the throttle, forget you're within EC-1 limits, and violate Restricted Speed......
They don't usually use the EC1 on the Great Lakes but will give you a restricted signal, do a banner and then pass you, and have another officers banner set up around another corner between signals since you have to run restricted if you stop between two signals. And they are notorious now with the switch direction test on throwing it down and lining the switch against you, you stopping and they clear it and you get up there and they have an obstruction tag in the switch points. Getting paid up with the BRCF is a good thing out here.
 #1206374  by roadster

The warning board tests are set to begin today 8/15/13, across CSX. Warning Boards (firecracker boards, square yellow board with a red stripe angled across) are being placed by managers in locations where no TSR or Rule 89 work zone is listed in Dsp. bulletin. A banner placed 2-3 miles beyond will test crews compliance with rule requirements. Heads Up my brothers!!!! Safety briefings are being held system wide!!! We've been informed, no waivers, CSX will seek Investigation and dismissal for failures. (this includes any/all Red Signal violations as well)
 #1206827  by 9axle

I don't mind getting bannered on a daily basis, especially when you banner me with only a short time left to work, and spend so much time pouring over our licences and paperwork that we die and don't have time to yard our train.