Railroad Forums 

• Derailment in Baltimore County, MD (5/28/2013)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1189698  by RailMike

It seems to have taken place near the intersection of 66th and E Biddle. Google Maps shows a lone grade crossing nearby with only crossbucks. I wonder if that's where the truck was hit?

There appears be a paved-over industrial spur crossing on Biddle, with RxR still painted on the pavement in at least one direction.
 #1189715  by glennk419

Ocala Mike wrote:Clips of today's incident:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2718-201_162-195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ive-video/

Question: When did we stop using the term "freight train?" Is it a "cargo train?" Really?
Must be some sort of Associated Press thing as I heard the term used on a couple different news outlets. 6ABC in Philly is also referring to it as a cargo train and showing AP as the source. Makes you wonder if they are freight cars or wagons that derailed. ;) Chopper shots are showing an overturned container flatbed adjacent to the derailed and burning cars, doesn't look good for the truck.
 #1189729  by dt_rt40

This picture: http://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_ ... _08f05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems to show the adjacent track literally blown to the side by the explosion. I didn't know that could happen.
You would think a main line these days would always have active crossing guards, even if the road is on the entrance to an industrial park.

EDIT: Ok, now I see there appears to be a facility absolutely chock full of dump trucks beyond the train tracks. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen!
 #1189769  by mmi16

dt_rt40 wrote:This picture: http://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_ ... _08f05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems to show the adjacent track literally blown to the side by the explosion. I didn't know that could happen.
You would think a main line these days would always have active crossing guards, even if the road is on the entrance to an industrial park.

EDIT: Ok, now I see there appears to be a facility absolutely chock full of dump trucks beyond the train tracks. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen!
The crossing is a Private Crossing locally known as 'Dump Road' Truck that was struck was a loaded Roll on/off trash truck. Driver was taken to Shock/Trauma unit of UofMD hospital in serious condition. Train involved was a regular Selkirk to Waycross road train.
 #1189914  by JimBoylan

waldwickrailfan wrote:stuff that went aflame: Propane, Plastic Pellets and Ammonium Nitrate
Thanks for the straight scoop, CSX is feeding the Associated Press a coverup:
CSX Transportation Co. spokesman Gary Sease said Wednesday that sodium chlorate in a car that derailed Tuesday in Rosedale exploded. He says the explosion ignited another chemical, terephthlaic acid, from a second derailed car.
 #1189943  by ExCon90

http://www.cbsnews.com/2718-201_162-195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ive-video/

Question: When did we stop using the term "freight train?" Is it a "cargo train?" Really?
FWIW, I emailed the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday and raised that question, as well as kvetching about "set of tracks" for "track," and got the following in return:

"On the first, I tried to see if someone somewhere had decided that in the 2010s we should call these 'cargo trains' but as near as I can tell, it has no use outside of news media, which leads me to suspect its ultimate source is the police. I agree that we should not use it, and have written it into our spellcheck program so that if it comes across the phrase 'cargo train' it will indicate it should be changed to 'freight train.' Of course, not everyone uses spellcheck on every story, but we do what we can. Not much I can do about 'a set of tracks.' That's just dumb. Wish more people cared about trains."

A long journey begins with a single step.
 #1190057  by mmi16

ExCon90 wrote:

FWIW, I emailed the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday and raised that question, as well as kvetching about "set of tracks" for "track," and got the following in return:

"On the first, I tried to see if someone somewhere had decided that in the 2010s we should call these 'cargo trains' but as near as I can tell, it has no use outside of news media, which leads me to suspect its ultimate source is the police. I agree that we should not use it, and have written it into our spellcheck program so that if it comes across the phrase 'cargo train' it will indicate it should be changed to 'freight train.' Of course, not everyone uses spellcheck on every story, but we do what we can. Not much I can do about 'a set of tracks.' That's just dumb. Wish more people cared about trains."

A long journey begins with a single step.
They could have called it a train with goods wagons.
 #1190208  by RDGAndrew

While we're at it, we should also lobby for the end of "tanker cars". A tanker is an oceangoing vessel.
 #1190721  by motor

RDGAndrew wrote:While we're at it, we should also lobby for the end of "tanker cars". A tanker is an oceangoing vessel.
I've always called them tank cars. Then again I'm almost 52 years old. :)

motor