Railroad Forums 

• Woodbourne yard...

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1180366  by 25Hz

I'm not really a foamer, but i recently (just now) reaized that i can hear locomotives at woodbourne yard idling and moving around (engine noise/horns) from my house. I think it's a combination of the way my house sits and the fact that at night there is all most no traffic noise between here and there to drown it out...

That said, if anyone has a schedule of trains that use woodbourne yard that would be amazing so i could tell which trains the sounds were coming from... :)
 #1180796  by 25Hz

Very slow manifest taking to the yard, taking FOREVER with the speed restriction on the switch.
 #1183024  by bluedash2

25Hz wrote:I'm not really a foamer, but i recently (just now) reaized that i can hear locomotives at woodbourne yard idling and moving around (engine noise/horns) from my house. I think it's a combination of the way my house sits and the fact that at night there is all most no traffic noise between here and there to drown it out...

That said, if anyone has a schedule of trains that use woodbourne yard that would be amazing so i could tell which trains the sounds were coming from... :)
I can tell you Q418 from Camden, NJ picks up cars at that yard every morning. They do have a couple locals that run out of there. C770 works both ends of the Trenton Sub plus C964 goes to Morrisville and back on Sundays, usually mid mornings to early afternoons. Others know better than me about the other trains, but I believe either Q409 or 439 works there too. You probably hear the power idling in the yard more so during the colder weather when it's too cold to shut them down. The 770 works M-F.
 #1189073  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

25 hz,
I see by your handle you must have an understanding of RR electrical x-mission.. (but that subject is for a different topic). About the working of the Woodbourne Yard:
Q-770 is a Mon-fri, job that usually works Nabisco and the BCIP (bucks co industrial park) from Woodbourne.
Q-764 is the weekday Morrisville job.
Q-746 is Sun and Thurs to Lansdale.
Q-964 is the Sun version of the 764 that can mess up the crossing at the Fairless Leg on and off for hours on Sundays..
Q-300 and Q-409 drop cars as well... As required.
Q-418 is daily, and has a habit of tying up the main for hours while they bounce about in the yard. This is the one you hear every day from late morning, to late afternoon at times.

Note: Most of the above info was courtesy of/ Dan Davis..Youtube "Trainnutjob" . (a thanks to his quick reply to my request re: train #'s)

Jim
 #1189339  by LVfastfreight

Woodbourne locals.

C-770 m-f on duty 06:30 drills yard and works all consignees between Manville, NJ and Cheltanham, pa. Usually Nabisco daily, BCIP a few days a week to service Silgon. M-w-f usually for Rickett Coleman in Belle Meade, NJ.

C-764 m-f on duty 17:00 drills yard and goes to Morrisville and return. Will occasionally have to relieve C-770 if outlawed.

C-746 sun-thurs on duty 20:00 may drill yard and will have to build their train. Goes to Lansdale and return.

C-964 is an extra local job called anytime to drill yard or relieve the regular locals if outlawed. C-964 is almost always called sun morning 06:30-12 noon to drill and go to Morrisville and back. Often called during weekday afternoons to drill the Q300 and Q409 set off so the trains are ready for the C-764 and C-746.

Q300 is former Conrail train PGOI ( Philly/Greenwich- Oak Island) and works everyday except Monday. This train sets off at Woodbourne daily (except Monday/doesn't run) the woodbourne block consisting of cars for Lansdale and Morrisville. At first it was only Lansdale cars. Now that Morrisville's are mixed in a C-964 is often called to drill this setoff.

Q409 (Selkirk,NY - Rocky Mount,NC) sets off daily at woodbourne. This block is for Morrisville with usually local cars for C-770 mixed in.

Q418 ( former Conrail train CASE ( Camden-Selkirk).) picks up outbounds at Woodbourne from all of the local jobs. If there are too many cars to pick up or if Q418 leaves Camden with a big train any train may be called upon to pick up outbounds at Woodbourne. Any northbound headed to Selkirk. Usually Q410.
 #1196594  by LVfastfreight

Well I know I didn't forget the Q409... It's the 2nd to last train in my previous post. Yes the Q417 used to drop cars at Woodbourne up until about 1-2 years ago. The Q409 now makes this set off. Csx management has high hopes of putting the Q418/Q417 in a long pool from Selkirk to Pavonia. Usually almost half of Q417 would be the set off for Woodbourne. Now that the Q409 makes this set off they usually block Woodbourne road for an hour or two since this train has a lot more freight on it for Rocky Mount. The Q301 did work Woodbourne but not for about 10 years now.
 #1202400  by 25Hz

Wow thanks for all the info! Now I kinda know what's going on there.

What am I hearing between 3 am and now?

One side question: few months ago a train was stopped too close to the gates west of langhorne station/rt413 crossing, causing the gates to stay down for about an hour. At first I didn't see what was causing it, but when we went on the nearby overpass I could see the head end of the train stopped, I don't even think the locos were on/running. Is that related to these other moves/yard activity?

I know, I need a scanner, but my birthday isn't for a few weeks haha.
 #1211323  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

That would have most likely been the 418. They leave they're train out on the main and proceed (light power) into Woodbourne yard at fairless junction to pick up the rest of they're train. Sometimes they don't pull far enough ahead to clear the circuit at 24.0 (Penndel 413) grade crossing at the gates stay down. I have heard that the local job C770 has gone out on the main and grabbed 418's train, and pulled it far enough to clear the circuit to raise the gates. I cant swear to that last statement, But I do know that 418 fowls that crossing quite often. On the other hand, as mentioned above. The Q409 is notorious for fowling Woodbourne Rd for hours at a time, especially on Fridays from late morning till well into the afternoon sometimes.
Jim
 #1215483  by LVfastfreight

25hz.... You said a train was stopped WEST of the Bellevue (RT413) crossing in Langhorne. So this sounds like a eastbound train that stopped well short of the crossing. If this is the case and I believe it is, an eastbound train apparently took an Approach signal at CP Nesh. Either inexperience or they were expecting the train ahead to be moving right along. The gates go down at Bellevue ave almost a half mile away. Crews can't see the signal at Langhorne without activating the gates. They probably stopped as soon as they saw a restricting signal at langhorne. So as to not block the road but however the gates would already be activated. There's a lot to consider when taking an " Approach" signal at CP NESH. Sounds like a lack of experience or communication.
 #1368444  by CorenDirebrew

Seems things changed since now.
Q418 no longer works the yard. (EB)
Q300 now originates out of Rocky Mount, NC whilst Q301 terminate there.
Both Q300/Q301 both pick-up/set-off cars at Woodbourne. (There are days when Q300 only set-offs cars)
Q409 no longer works Woodbourne Yard (WB)