Railroad Forums 

• CSX Readville Yard Boston

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#216262  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hey everyone, the last few weeks i have gone by Readville yard, there has been no more than 15 cars in the yard, why is it so empty? just the time of the year, or did some customers stop taking cars?

#216323  by CSX Conductor

It was sold to the Providence & Worcester.

#216365  by johnpbarlow

As was said in the movie Airplane, "Surely you can't be serious!"

#216427  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

when did this happen?? i still see CSX engines in the yard, is the P&W going to close it or continue to use it?

#216460  by CSX Conductor

Matt, as Mary said to Ted in Something About Mary, "I'm just f#cking with ya"! :P

During the winter Home Depot and many other lumber companies tend to slow down a bit due to less construction in the winter. This has made an impact, but it will pick up in a month or two. Bird/Certainteed in East Walpole sometimes orders alot of cars at once from their supplier and other times they order a few at a time.....depending on costs of product, either way they can only unload 3 cars a day. The Boston Globe's warehouse was pretty well stocked last week because they received about 20+ cars earlier in the week. US Gypsum usually gets 3 or 4 cars into the yard at a time but has them all unloaded the same day. General Motors' parts warehouse at Rte128 moved out a few months ago which adds to the decrease in cars as well. Also the Boston Railway Terminal was served legal papers for eviction process AGAIN last week and even though he has cars en-route they will not be delivered. They have been re-routed to the P&W where he will have to unload them at one of his locations in Providence.

Even when the yard seems deserted sometimes there is still a steady flow, just not noticeable because the customers are ordering just enough to fill their sidings as opposed to ordering too many cars and paying for them to be held in the yard.

Also, last week someone supposedly signed a leas for the old Stop & Shop warehouse and hopefully he will do rail, which would be more business. :-)

#216515  by jonnhrr

Are there any locals that originate at Readville and if so where to they go?

#216655  by CSX Conductor

There are 4 locals that originate out of Readville:

B710 works M-F on duty at 559am. They switch the cars brought back from Framingham and then service Home Depot (tracks are visible from the parking lot behind 575 University Ave.) @ Rte.128 Industrial Park. They sometimes service U.S.Gypsum, which is visible from Harvard St. They also service two lumber companies in Stoughton on the MBTA's Stoughton Branch. There is only one time slot to go to Stoughton and that is after train #911 goes down and returns (I think it's #912 coming back, not sure).

B732 works M-F on duty @ 1200pm. They go out the Franklin Branch to East Walpole (off the main @ Norwood Central) and service 2 customers there, CertainTeed (a.k.a. Bird Co.) and Holingsworth-Vose. Hollingsworth gets a car about once a month (they are the only tank car customer in Readville so it is obvious when they will be serviced.) Certain-Teed can be seen from Pleasant St in Norwood. You can get a shot of the Hollingsworth Siding (which is on an old wooden trestle) from Washington Street in East Walpole about 1/2 mile west of the Norwood border. B732 then goes to Walpole, picks up empties from the night Walpole local and heads south on the Framingham Secondary to Foxboro Terminal to service that industry. Foxboro Terminal is right by the Foxboro Stadium Station but it is usually dark when they get there, especially on days that they do East Walpole. They then shove back to Walpole for the trip home to Readville.

B731 works Sunday-Thursday nights on duty at 930pm and pretty much only takes empties from Readville to Framingham and returns with loads. They leave Readville between 1200am & 100am average and go west on the Franklin Branch to Walpole where they head north on the CSXT Framingham Secondary.

B733 works Sunday-Thursday nights onn duty @ 600pm. The job tends to "bat clean-up" when needed and may go wherever work needs to be done. The usual work is servicing the Freezer in Amtrak's Southampton Street Yard and Boston Globe in Dorchester. Whenever minor locomotive servicing is needed (sand,oil, toilet dump,etc) B733 takes the power to Beacon Park to be serviced. The U.S.Gypsum at Rte128 is their customer as well but that is passed-off to B710 or B731 when they have to go far away to help with other work. Presently B733 is assisting B735 by servicing the entire West Mansfield industrial park 2 or 3 nights a week.

Sorry to ramble, but yes there are locals out of Readville. :wink:

#216827  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

so B733 is doing more workin the Mansfield industrial park now?not just Barrett's

#216833  by CSX Conductor

Since B735 has a good amount of work in the Chocolate and Barrett has landed a new acct with General Mills, they cannot do both Industrial Parks. Therefore B735 does the chocolate and sets the west mansfield cars out in the park for B733. B733 does the work in the park and leaves the Selkirks on the lead between Hub Folding Box and Amtrak's NEC where B735 picks them up the next time they set-off more empties. This has been going on this way because B735 doesn't have enough time to do both industrial parks, set the cars off in Attleboro and get back to Walpole. Plus it's extra work to keep B733 busy since they lost 2 customers, GM and Boston Railway Terminal.
 #551149  by Pyroechidna1

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I was looking for information on B731 and I was wondering if anyone knows the approximate time it departs Framingham to go back to Readville. Thanks.
 #551190  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Pyroechidna1 wrote:Sorry to bump an old topic, but I was looking for information on B731 and I was wondering if anyone knows the approximate time it departs Framingham to go back to Readville. Thanks.
don't worry about bumping an old topic up, these forums are here to help people answer questions. It was good that you brought this Readville topic up instead of creating a new one. As for your question, I don't have an answer, but I'm sure CSX conductor can help ya out
 #551736  by CSX Conductor

B731 leaves Readville after the last eastbound Franklin train (730) goes through Sprague Street Monday-Thursday nights and heads north on the Framingham Secondary once B725 has reported clear of the Secondary @ Walpole. Typically they drop their cars in Nevins Yard and then depart right after picking up their cars for Readville and completing a brake test.