Railroad Forums 

• Will CSX become like Penn Central?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#138381  by LCJ

Brad Smith wrote:Sorry if this is a question that has been asked and answered before, but what is the ONE plan. Is it part of what irked labor at Selkirk?
Here's what the article says about it:
Jacksonville Business Journal wrote:Flower also wrote that if the ONE Plan doesn't raise on-time rates, the company will find it difficult to raise prices and contain costs.

"Therefore," he wrote, "CSXT's ability to grow earnings and increase share value hinges on the ONE Plan."

The ONE Plan uses computer modeling to determine the most efficient routing of trains to minimize wasted miles and intermediate handling of railcars in terminals, which adds to delays, Sease said.

Although unprecedented demand for rail and traffic levels have made implementing and executing the ONE Plan more difficult, he said CSX believes the plan is part of the solution.

"We remain committed to the ONE Plan," he said. "It's a good document, and it's the right plan for this company."
As for whether it was part of what irked labor, well, not directly. It did, however, contribute to the change of management, which contributed to the problems that precipitated. As the article says, Mr. Ingram was leaning hard on managers to adopt the plan. After this article was published, those who did not get in line (mostly former Conrail managers) were shown the door.

#138401  by Brad Smith

Thanks LCJ.

I somehow missed those paragraphs in that in the article. My wife says I have that habit when listening to her talk as well. :wink:

#138406  by LCJ

My wife says that, too. At least I think that's what she says...