Railroad Forums 

• New Building along tracks

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1162286  by designwebs

I live in the Carlisle, Ohio area and I often do some training watching on the Toledo Sub. on the CXS system. I have started to notice that there are new buildings appearing along the tracks. The buildings are small and look like they are made out aluminium with a air conditioner sticking out one side.

Looks like they are upgrading something new. Anyone got any idea on what they are used for?

Thanks
 #1162799  by mmi16

CSX like all other carriers that handle either passengers or HAZMAT on their lines are involved in the upgrading of their signalling equipment on the lines that handle passengers/HAZMAT to comply with the FRA mandated PTC (Positive Train Control) signal system - a system that has yet to set final standards, with implementation mandated to be complete by Dec. 31, 2015. Virtually all legacy signal systems must be replaced to comply with the changes made necessary by PTC and at present there is a shortage of all the necessary components.

When PTC was mandated there was no 'off the shelf' technology that would permit compliance with the mandate; ever since it has been a design and develop as you go project, a project that must be inter-operable among all carriers equipment that operate on the affected lines. PTC is a multi-billion dollar governmental mandate that is being paid for out of carrier investment funds that could be used other projects that could have a better ROI for both safety and the bottom line.
 #1162965  by Freddy

Freddy wrote:For the signal system.
On second thought it could be a 'scanner' that reads the barcoding on cars and on the CSX, at least where I'm at, that falls under the Communications department and not signal. Comms also
repairs EOT devices.