• Temp. transfers for engineers to Florida

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by roadster

Csx has offered and awarded temporary transfer for engineers from all Divisions to either Sanford or Maimi (Hialeah) Fla. lasting up to 6 months. Any of our Florida brothers or sisters have any info. on why the sudden shortages? What kind of trains are running out of Sanford or Hialeah and to where? I am ordered to report to Hialeah, Fla., on 2/28. Kinda currious as to what kinda work to expect. Yard, local, road? to where?
  by Noel Weaver

roadster wrote:Csx has offered and awarded temporary transfer for engineers from all Divisions to either Sanford or Maimi (Hialeah) Fla. lasting up to 6 months. Any of our Florida brothers or sisters have any info. on why the sudden shortages? What kind of trains are running out of Sanford or Hialeah and to where? I am ordered to report to Hialeah, Fla., on 2/28. Kinda currious as to what kinda work to expect. Yard, local, road? to where?
Generally two road trains out of Hialeah, not sure where the crews run to
but would suspect either Wildwood or Tampa
A local to Homestead, I suppose five days a week.
Fair amount of yard work.
Fort Lauderdale has a local too for at least one and maybe two tricks.
Power is almost anything although the Fort Lauderdale job has a four axle
engine.
I don't know just how many yard and local jobs there are in Hialeah but I
would guess that there are several.
Tri-Rail contracts to Herzog to run and crew its commuter trains and of
course Amtrak has its own crews too.
Finally, must tell you the Hialeah terminal is in a rough section of time.
Noel Weaver

by crazy_nip

K990 series loaded rock trains semi-daily to either tampa or wildwood depending on day and empties back

couple times a week autorack trains each way too from baldwin

mixed freight to/from waycross 3 times a week Q452/453

thats about it except amtrash

there are various locals too, but they run mostly at night out of hialeah

there are also coal trains a few times a week to indiantown, think N160 is the train number

I dont know why they would have shortages of crews

by roadster

Thanks for the info Noel and Nip, I knew that Hialeah isn't the greatest place around and will be cautious. I understand their training new engineers and we're there to fill in untill they are out of training. Maybe retirements came quicker than CSX expected, I don't know either. In Roch. we usually deal with 4 axle gp38's, local riffraff stoning us and the like. Looking forward to the change, we'll see. Thanks again.

by charlie6017

roadster wrote:Thanks for the info Noel and Nip, I knew that Hialeah isn't the greatest place around and will be cautious..............local riffraff stoning us and the like.
Goodness--sounds like Rochester, only warmer! When are ya headed down?

by AmtrakFan

Could it be a Jacksonville shortage that they are taking bodies from Miami?

by roadster

Departing Sat. 2/26, gunna be an interesting summer Charlie, keepem in line up here. If J'ville was short, seems like they'd requested us for there. Don't know, I'll see what they tell me down there.

by Cowford

The shortage is a combination of issues... retirements is one, and the turnover rate on new hires is part of it. Younger crews like the pay, but the obvious strain on family/social life prompts many to seek employment elsewhere. There are still a lot of old heads that don't understand that a 24/7 job isn't for everybody, especially when there are other employment options... for T&E employees as well as front line managers. The recent Trains article about the life of a third trick CSX trainmaster in Detroit sums it up pretty nicely.

by roadster

Ok, guys, one more question. Exactly where is CSX's Office in Hialeah, Fla.? The address given to me by Crew Mgt. is 9400 NW 37th st.,
Hialeah, yet, several internet map searches cannot find this location. I have ph# for directions just wanted to have a headsup before I put the car in drive. I have directions to the hotel and confident about getting there. Any help would be appreciated.

by crazy_nip

the yard is directly north of the amtrak station...

by 262

Roadster,that address should be 37th.Ave.If you are traveling I-95,take N.W.79th.St.west to 37th.Ave.north.When you turn on 37th.you will see the Amtrak Station and large locomotive maintaince shed just like C.N.said.Expect heavey traffic.The area is hispanic,and carribean but well traveled if you stay on 79th,is reasonalby safe in daylite hours.The crews I have spoken to recommend the Homestead Run which is 0719.

by chuchubob

How many railroads run to Homestead?

When I was stationed at (the late) Homestead AFB, the FEC ran to Homestead. That was in 1964.

by crazy_nip

FEC's line to homestead was abandoned in the early 80's and pulled out by 1988. You can still see the ROW in some places, especially along US1, but its long gone

CSX is it now

by roadster

Thanks all, looking forward to the adventure