Railroad Forums 

• Thieves Steal CSX Trackage - Question Too

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#98622  by Station_Master

:(
I started a Yahoo Group dedicated to the Adirondack Division of the New York Central and recently we have all been buzzing about the recent track removal that CSX is doing from Adirondack Junction to Beauharnois on their Montreal Branch.

Wait a minute....none of us could find an order of discontinuance nor an order of abandonment. What was going on?

This past week, we got an answer. It seems six guys whom owned rail equipment started to cut the rails from the CPR junction to just east of Chateauguay and we asked by a newspaper reporter about what they were doing. When they said they had the railroad's permission, he told the police whom called CSX....whom were fuming that their property was being stolen! These thieves were arrented and now face a charge of theft over $5,000.

Now the question myself and other have. What are the chances that CSX will replace the missing tracks? The line was never abandoned or discontinued, they just have an agreement with CNR to operate into Montreal via Cecile Junction at Valleyfield and CNR has running rights to Massena and down to the CSX main. There is talk of that agreement ending since CNR will use the D&H instead so CSX may need their line in operational order. added to this is the constant pressure of AMT (commuter service) in Montreal putting the screws to the councils of Chateauguay and Beauharnois to allow them to run a route to their communities. Can anyone speculate if CSX will replace the tracks or just take the loss and try to abandon the line officially?

#98687  by AmtrakFan

I think CSX will try to fix it up I hope so they can try to get more Commuter Rail plus you can never have too many safety Valve routes.

#98759  by CP169

The court ought to make those bastards put the rail back in.

#98907  by roadster

From what I have been told this segment of track hasn't been used for a couple years. Although CSX hadn't filed any abandonment papers yet, there were no plans to maintain the line either. CSX was more concerned with the theft of their property. CSX has a stock plie of used rail in the Watertown area which has been used a source of replacement rail on the St.Lawrence Sub. whenever they have a broken rail or derailment. We have alot of concerns about the future of the St.Lawrence sub. traffic seems to be higher than normal, but the line is up for sale, as is the Fulton and Baldwinsville secondarys. CSX has been moving away from small operations and customers in favor of mainline operations and large customers. The Company would rather deliver a train to an interchange and have a shortline take care of switching the customer. I have my doughts that the line will be restored. except by a shortline operator with state and federal funds. But thats what I have heard from fellow CSX employees and company officials. But it is only my oppinion.

#102417  by Station_Master

There was this article in the Eastern Door (in 1999)

http://www.easterndoor.com/VOL.8/8-32.htm#story2

Railway Line Spartks Controversy
By: Greg Horn

The old Conrail railroad line that runs through Kahnawake, passing
Route 207 and Route 138, which has not seen much activity in the last
five years, was recently sold to the American firm CSX.

When CSX had purchased this line from Conrail, in the Fall of 1998,
they intended to use it as a heavy commercial line between the United
States and Montreal. CSX had even entertained the idea of turning a
part of the track into a rail-yard.

The MCK had met with CSX officials last October to try to find out
what their business plan was for this line.

Since that initial meeting nothing was decided as to what was going
to happen with the rail line. The MCK was assured that CSX would
inform them of their plans by mid-April 1999.

CSX had expressed to the MCK that they were concerned about the
community's safety and would not use pesticides or herbicides on the
side of the tracks.

Then without notice, on August 5 and 6, several trains had gone
through Kahnawake. Due to the fact that the signals were not working
properly, one car was forced to go into a ditch to avoid being struck
by the train.

Following this incident, the MCK made arrangements to meet CSX, and
that meeting took place on Monday, August 30. This meeting did not go
off very well, because, according to a representative of the MCK, CSX
did not live up to their end of the bargain.

"We will no longer accept them on the Territory," states MCK Chief
Michael Delisle.

Just prior to Conrail selling the rail line to CSX, the MCK was
preparing to launch a land claim against Conrail for the land that
the rail line is on. The MCK has now presented CSX with this claim

#102434  by charlie6017

What is the MCK????

#102531  by Station_Master

They would be the Mohawk Council of Kahnawake, a Native Reserve between Chateauguay and (technically) Ste-Catherine. The CSX line runs through the reserve and has been for over 100 years.

#102533  by charlie6017

Many thanks, I did'nt know that!