Railroad Forums 

• CSX in Tampa, Florida

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#94506  by David Hutchinson

Near, or in, Tarpon Springs, I saw what appeared to be a Power Plant. Also, noticed an old facility near Howard Park. Were either one of these the last serviced facility that you talked about?

#94816  by crazy_nip

David Hutchinson wrote:Near, or in, Tarpon Springs, I saw what appeared to be a Power Plant. Also, noticed an old facility near Howard Park. Were either one of these the last serviced facility that you talked about?
the power plant had a spur to it, but it only got the occasional rail shipment like a generator, it was never served with fuel

there was staufer chemicals on anclote road that was the last major customer. If memory serves me correctly there was a COX lumber out in elfers too and florida rock in elfers, but that was about it

the chemical plant closed in the mid 80's and was demolished. Demolition was slow, but it was gone by 1997 or so. It is still fenced in to never be developed on because it was a superfund site. The old plant site is still fenced in with warning signs on it from the EPA saying "do not disturb soil"

there is very little if any evidence of this line left except a couple poorly paved over grade crossings and the bridge across the anclote river. Most of the ROW is not even visible in winter at this point

howard park? the rr did not go anywhere near there.

#94877  by Noel Weaver

David Hutchinson wrote:Did motor car 4900 run around the Tampa area?
It's last assignment before the Amtrak take over was between Lakeland
and Naples hauling generally one sleeper and one coach. Previous to
that, it also ran between Tampa, Sarasota and Venice, again with one
sleeper and one coach.
Noel Weaver

#95012  by ACLfan

Sammy, I believe the "old FP9" that you saw at Parrish is a FP7 unit that has been loaned to the Fla. Gulf Coast RM in Parrish by the Gold Coast RM in Miami.

The history of this unit is that it was built in June, 1952 as Ontario Northland 1513; then sold to GO Transit and re# as GO Transit # 9862, then re# to 904; then sold to TRI Rail as TRI Rail # 904; then to the Gold Coast RM.

The Gulf Coast RM's access and use tracks are very rusty and incredibly weed-covered, so you could have seen one of their tracks.

ACLfan

#95661  by David Hutchinson

Just got the old Carstens book on the SCL in Florida. Noticed a photo of a shanty in Tarpon Springs that used to be at the ACL/SAL junction. I am sure this is gone???? Also, noticed a photo of streets running in Tarpon Springs. What street was this? Thanks out there........

#95716  by CSX Conductor

Hey David, did you say you got a Carsten's book? LOL :P

Guess your keyboard got stuck, eh? :wink:

#95866  by ACLfan

David, the ACL's line between St. Pete and Trilby did some street running through Tarpon Springs for about a dozen or so blocks, mostly on Saffold Street (north and south).

The former ACL depot in Tarpon Springs is still standing, and is used as a local historical museum (with a model train layout).

The depot's address is 160 E. Tarpon Avenue, at the SW corner of Tarpon Ave. and Saffold St.

Regarding the shanty that you mentioned, I don't believe that it was located in Tarpon Springs, as the SAL RR did not serve Tarpon Springs.

ACLfan

#95917  by crazy_nip

the sal line to elfers crossed the acl at grade west of US 19 and north of tarpon ave...

this is what he is referring to

on the timetables, the location was known as "taconey"

after the merger, the line from "tarpon springs" to tarpon junction through odessa (which paralleled gunn highway) was abandoned as far as "cosme" which served the pinellas county water system plant (cosme-odessa wellfield is what it is known as now) until the early 80's.

the rest was removed sometime around 1984-85

they did not interchange there to my knowledge

Access was gained to the rest of the elfers sub through the ACL out of clearwater after that point

#163343  by CSX Engineer 98

I used to to live in Bradenton FLA. in the late 70's and used to get Cab rides from an Old time SAL/SCL Engineer named Jim D'arbra. Who I found out passed on in the 80's of lung Cancer. The switcher used to be located at the Bradenton station on a stub track Built by a chain Gang " I personally watched it being built" now it no longer is there. I also knew the Bridge tender who got blown over and drown one night during a storm/hurricaine in 78 I believe. I frequented "almost daily" The yard at Tropicana OJ. "A real ruff neighborhood back then and boy has that changed. Back then the juice train used to leave every Sunday afternoon with atleast 3 U33B, or U36B and even the 1776 bicentenial loco. or a mix of GE or EMD's and always a orange "think safety" Caboose, Back then the juice cars were white. One night I went far north of palmetto with the crew, looking for 2 "hot" box cars and a hopper stuffed on a siding a wild and exciting time when your 12yrs old. I got back late and got grounded for a month but was well worth it. The last time I was there was 94 and has changed so much. I offten think of my adventures back then so much happy times.

Anybody live near there now? I used to live near the Marina on the Manatee river and bought every piece of SCL that came into Semaphore Hobbies.

PS: also watched the freedom train, and lots of Ringling Bro's movements

Thanks for the Time... :wink:

#168857  by badneighbor

My inlaws live in Dunellen Florida, and behind their home runs a line, a CSX line that sends about one train each way daily, a unit coal train, to a power plant in Crystal River. Once in a blue moon he sees an autorack train go by, but rarely. I have some questions on this branch. What is the train number, origin point, and branch name of this line? What main line does this branch from, and whose line was it originally?

I am curious, and hope my info so far is correct.

#168887  by crazy_nip

I dont know why he would EVER see an autorack train go by, as there is no autorack terminal anywhere on this line.

This line is known to CSX as the "west coast subdivision" of the Jacksonville Division.

It is what is left of the former ACL jacksonville to st. pete / tampa mainline.

It now runs from starke, FL to red level, FL and consists of bits and pieces of former branches and mainlines of the SAL and ACL.

There is a daily unit coal train each way (from kentucky) each day.

There is also an as-needed local. As of May, the florida central railroad (pinsley co.) took over this line from newberry to end of track (and high springs).

They operate the unit coal trains now, with csx power, and have a CF7 which does locals.

The only reason I would think you could have seen some autoracks is if CSX at one time was using siding to store empty or bad order autoracks.

This line used to see 20 - 30 trains a day and had CTC from lakeland and vitis jct to dunnellon. A good hunk of it was double tracked at one time too.

Now the only reason it still exists is to serve the power plant at red level

#168926  by badneighbor

the autoracks were rare. as i recall, he said they were stored on some type of siding in Dunellen itself. how often is the local? would it go through his area?

#169243  by crazy_nip

as needed, again, florida central runs the line now, and I dont live in the area anymore