Railroad Forums 

• New Lococmotives for CSX (ES44DC)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#90344  by B747

The January 2005 issue of Progressive Railroading magazine indicates that CSX has ordered 100 ES44DC's. They will be delivered Mid-year 05'. It did'nt say which road #'s were to be assigned to them.

Everything that I know of has been AC purchases for several years now. AC4400CW, AC6000CW, SD70MAC, and the SD70ACe, and now all the sudden DC. The last DC version was the C44-9W's that I can think of. Maybe they are to replace aging equipment which is less reliable now due to their age like SD40-2's, and the oldest of the Dash-8's.

What do you think?

Also, Norfolk Southern has ordered 52 SD70M-2, assigned #'s will be 2649-2700. They will be delivered beginning in September of this year.

Additional info about Western roads were this: (Most of these have already been reported, but here goes anyway)

200 C45ACCTE for UP
115 SD70ACe for UP
150 ES44DC for BNSF
50 ES44AC for BNSF
16 SD70ACe for MRL

#90364  by railohio

*yawn*

Just more of what the railroads already have too many of. UP gets more EMDs and BNSF, CSX, and NS all get more GEs. Would be great to have a third builder in the picture, eh?

This just strengthens my resolve to shoot SD40-2s in any paint!

#90450  by CSX Conductor

But CSXT is the only one with "The Green Goat". :-)

#90549  by Jay Potter

DC-traction units were ordered because the company has a sufficient number of the more expensive AC-traction units to move its tonnage traffic. The new units are intended primarily for manifest service. However since they will weigh 432,000 pounds (the same as the "heavy" AC4400CWs), instead of the standard 415,000 pounds, they will perform somewhat more reliably than standard units when they are assigned to tonnage service.

#90618  by AmtrakFan

When did CSX order the Green Goats?

John

#90853  by Bryanjones

actually CSX is just testing 3 Green Goats, they have not placed any orders for them. However, UP has ordered 10 Green Goats while BNSF has ordered 4 and the KCS 2 units.

Bryan Jones

#92814  by TerryC

Well CSXT did get some SD70Ms, SD60s, GP60s, and two F40PHs in the past few years. That might be considered locomotive trading between companies and not locomotive purchases. CSXT owns no C44-9Ws, but they have are 53 C44-8Ws. Dash 8s with a Dash 9 horsepower rating and maybe some technology.
http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/html/CW44-9.html
keep searching keep finding

#92940  by n01jd1

Three locomotive builders? You barely have enough market for two. CSX apparently wasnt too thrilled with the SD70Ace since they have just gone out and put an order in for more GE's and NO EMD's. EMD or whatever its new owners intend to call it had better get its act together, or it wont be in business much longer.

railohio wrote:*yawn*

Just more of what the railroads already have too many of. UP gets more EMDs and BNSF, CSX, and NS all get more GEs. Would be great to have a third builder in the picture, eh?

This just strengthens my resolve to shoot SD40-2s in any paint!
 #96839  by kgt697

the sd70 ACe locomotives were months late arriving, amd had an unacceptable out of service rate for new power. Shame of it is that all they had to do was deliver on time and function properly...you're righ to say that the new owners had better get it together....

#96872  by Jay Potter

What out-of-service rate for new power does CSXT consider "acceptable"?

#96952  by crazy_nip

I dont understand this DC locomotive purchase...

for years, CSX has bought nothing but AC locomotives

now they buy unproved DC GE junk?

They werent impressed with the CW44-9's they bought and thats why they went in a different direction

I just dont understand this, especially after the fiasco with the HDL powered AC6000's

#96998  by Jay Potter

The CW44-9s were part of the same order that included the first AC-traction units, so the performance of the former units was unrelated to the decision to order the latter units.

CSXT decided to resume ordering DC-traction units because it has enough AC-traction units to move its tonnage traffic; and it considers DC-traction units to be a more cost-effective way to move its manifest traffic.

#97809  by n01jd1

As opposed to buying EMD's that are PROVEN to be junk? Lets see, the H engine that was a complete waste, The SD60's that were so much trouble that CSX at the time swore they would never buy another EMD, and the SD50's that were junk. EMD hasnt turned out a decent locomotive since the SD40-2. And they wonder why everybody is buying GE's?

crazy_nip wrote:I dont understand this DC locomotive purchase...

for years, CSX has bought nothing but AC locomotives

now they buy unproved DC GE junk?

They werent impressed with the CW44-9's they bought and thats why they went in a different direction

I just dont understand this, especially after the fiasco with the HDL powered AC6000's

#119772  by sd80mac

Jay Potter wrote:The CW44-9s were part of the same order that included the first AC-traction units, so the performance of the former units was unrelated to the decision to order the latter units.

CSXT decided to resume ordering DC-traction units because it has enough AC-traction units to move its tonnage traffic; and it considers DC-traction units to be a more cost-effective way to move its manifest traffic.

for one I KNOW is that GE DOES NOT HAVE model with AC... GE has not come up with new design for AC model to meet Tier II..

For question of why CSX is buying DC... I dunno...

#119815  by crazy_nip

TerryC wrote:Well CSXT did get some SD70Ms, SD60s, GP60s, and two F40PHs in the past few years
yes, they did... second hand