• Will the snowstorm affect operations?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by mu26aeh

Hey, just ask the question, we all know it is coming :-D

by CSX Conductor

If you are asking whether any trains have already been annulled in preparation of the storm, I don't think so yet.

After-all, CSXT is re-active, no pro-active. :(

by sammy

Just checked the weather in Boston, hows that 18% feel? Its a swety 73 here in Bama.

by mu26aeh

I wasn't asking, I just needed to say that. I know a couple people here are dying to ask "Due to the snowstorm, is CSX cancelling any service/trains?"

just a little joke seeing that we have been so hard on some lately

by starionwolf

CSX has posted a weather alert on csx.com. I hope the trains will still run all day while the snow is falling.

by roadster

There still runnin, but slow, outlaws on the horizon. Have recieved 6 inches of snow in the last 5 hrs, expecting another 10 -15 by tomorrow, temp. hovering around 3 degrees, got down to -18 last night. welcome to western NY.

by CSX Conductor

White gold !!! :-D

by Noel Weaver

CSX Conductor wrote:White gold !!! :-D
AKA BLOOD MONEY!!!!
Noel Weaver

by mu26aeh

At least on the Hanover Sub, traffic is at a standstill. No trains since they plowed the roads cause the plowlane still blocks the tracks.

by The S.P. Caboose

I feel sorry for you guys in the northeast. Sunny and 75 in LA.

On a serious note, doesn't CSX use snow removal equipment? On Donner Pass the Union Pacific has available the use of snow spreaders and rotaries.

by CSX Conductor

The last couple years there wasn't really too much on the mainline, so a pair of lite engines was used in a few cases. Snow-jets were used to clear out interlockings. There was a snow extra last year that took care of some of the secondaries.

As for now, the governor delcared a state of emergency last night and I do not think it has been lifted as of yet because the snow is still coming down.

As for snow removal in the yards, usually just a snow-jet.

by roadster

CSX has that snow cat thing, the snowblower on steriods the SB1000 I think. It went east through Rochester yesterday afternoon enroute to Selkirk then who knows. It's a modern version of a rotary sort of. it has 2 smaller highspeed blades mounted side by side and a chute simular to your home snowblower to direct the snow as needed. It runs on it's own power and is mounted on a turntable above the trucks so it can reverse directions. There are a few plows left for the usual tough areas, like the St. Lawrence sud. north of Syracuse NY, the Berkshires on the B&A between Selkirk and Boston.