Railroad Forums 

• CSX Freight Into Boston Now

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1155163  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Mbta fan wrote:Csx conductor, I could see the csx yard from sprague st.
so you are just making an written observation? It's just a cut of cars waiting to return to Framingham on the next local out of Readville. either tonight or tomorrow morning....No locals, as far as I know, operate out of Readville on weekends. I believe all jobs are M-F
 #1155560  by MBTA1016

Ok, I couldn't see the providence end of it. It seemed odd being all box cars then a single centerbeam that was loaded. Back to the regularly scheduled discussion.
 #1155695  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Mbta fan wrote:Ok, I couldn't see the providence end of it. It seemed odd being all box cars then a single centerbeam that was loaded. Back to the regularly scheduled discussion.
nothing odd about that, just another cut of cars in the yard....that is what a freight train is, various loads and empties that need to get somewhere and it all depends on what custormer orders what for cars...just another day on the railroad
 #1158426  by Narrowgauger

You can indeed see the yard from Sprague st. As a matter of fact I lived for years across the pond from the yard and still swing by almost every day. Lately there has been a slight increase of cars there. Mostly lumber cars, boxes , covered hoppers and reefers. two days ago there was over 40 cars in the yard. more than have been in a long time but not as many as the Penn Central/ Conrail days.
Ted
 #1160756  by CSX Conductor

There are 3 consignees serviced by Readville that receive flat cars of lumber:

Home Depot in the RTE128 Industrial Park
Cohenno Construction on the MBTA Stoughton Branch
Warren Trask Lumber on the MBTA Stoughton Branch
 #1161250  by CSX Conductor

fogg1703 wrote:Warren Trask is now in Lakeville on the Middleboro Secondary.
Thanks. I haven't been down the Stoughton Branch since sometime in 2008.
 #1161563  by MBTA1016

CSX Conductor wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:Csx conductor, I could see the csx yard from sprague st.
Sorry, the way you worded it originally I was mistaken.

No problem, those freight cars weren't the only thing I saw either. There was also an outbound franklin line train and an Amtrak MOW wirecar parked under a bridge. I know those sightings aren't related to csx but they just happened to be there.
 #1161682  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CSX Conductor wrote:
fogg1703 wrote:Warren Trask is now in Lakeville on the Middleboro Secondary.
Thanks. I haven't been down the Stoughton Branch since sometime in 2008.
That's a very recent change. Only a few months ago that Trask struck the relocation deal. Came on the heels of Romar's deal last year to move from Beacon Park to Hopedale and service from G&U.

Probably means it's only a matter of indeterminate time before Cohenno gets a similar offer it can't refuse and CSX expunges itself of everything on the branch.
 #1228421  by Narrowgauger

Quick question...last week I saw a light engine move of at least 6 GP40-2s heding into Beacon Park. Any idea what this might of been? Refueling if the facility is still open? Thoughts?
Ted
 #1228462  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Narrowgauger wrote:Quick question...last week I saw a light engine move of at least 6 GP40-2s heding into Beacon Park. Any idea what this might of been? Refueling if the facility is still open? Thoughts?
Ted
Nope. Engine yard's closed. Weeds already sticking up through the pavement. There still is CSX staff poking around there doing closeout work. After all, they do have to take all their shop tools and machinery with them when they go. Not sure what the parade of locos would've been for if they weren't taking a box or flatcar's worth of yard stuff back with them. Unless they were just emptying out the last drops of diesel in the fueling tanks.
 #1228607  by railman616

The plan is to send the local power to Beacon to drain the remaining fuel from the tank before starting the removal process of all the buildings and equipment. But this maybe delayed while the T and Harvard talk about other Plans for the site.
 #1228616  by F-line to Dudley via Park

railman616 wrote:The plan is to send the local power to Beacon to drain the remaining fuel from the tank before starting the removal process of all the buildings and equipment. But this maybe delayed while the T and Harvard talk about other Plans for the site.
The state's the one tagged with responsibility for the engine yard, so other than draining the fuel and taking home all its shop tools and repurposeable equipment CSX doesn't have much to do in the engine yard. Their primary responsibility is dismantling the main yard...knocking down the yard office and the little sheds, pulling up all the rail for scrap, taking down the light towers, etc. Except for what track is needed to access the Grand Junction until the T re-does all the mainline switches they aren't waiting for any other parties before they get started. And they'll probably waste little time when they do...all that scrap rail is worth a pretty good sum to them.