Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1547551  by AlKaLI

Nothing earth-shattering but finally something to report. 2 blue leased GMTX GP38-2s heading towards Queens Blvd over the LIRR main this morning at 6:45 AM. They were pulling a long cut of loaded CDEX gons, setting the outbound freight for CSX.
 #1549978  by AlKaLI

Last night at about 5:00 PM, a string of empty GATX hoppers over the LIRR main on the NY Connecting. Looked to be empty so guessing the returning P & W train. In recent times, never caught it so early.

This morning, an outbound sting of cars waiting for CSX at 7:00 AM. Boxcars, a number of tankcars and empty CB flats.
 #1551998  by expbusop

Eyewitness news reporting freight derailment at Oak Point Yard. 2 or 3 cars derailed look upright. Possible Amtrak delays.
 #1551999  by gregorygrice

expbusop wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:09 pm Eyewitness news reporting freight derailment at Oak Point Yard. 2 or 3 cars derailed look upright. Possible Amtrak delays.
Amtrak service is suspended, wire is down.

Probably the yard job while building Q704.
 #1552020  by Backshophoss

That's what you get for not checking the bins are loaded properly and the tarps are secure!!!
 #1552320  by expbusop

With regard to this weeks derailment at Oak Point who is responsible for the catenary begin down the damage to track, is there some type of mutual agreement in place as to who pays for what. Does CSX have to reimburse Amtrak for loss of service ? Not sure how it works in the RR industry.
Also do they know the cause of the derailment?
 #1552382  by gregorygrice

expbusop wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 am With regard to this weeks derailment at Oak Point who is responsible for the catenary begin down the damage to track, is there some type of mutual agreement in place as to who pays for what. Does CSX have to reimburse Amtrak for loss of service ? Not sure how it works in the RR industry.
Also do they know the cause of the derailment?
CSX is at fault, they pay for the damages lol. The train appeared to have picked a switch.
 #1553351  by freightguy

It looks like the NY Post(Newspaper) plans to ship its business from the plant in the Harlem River Intermodal yard to College Point, Queens. The article stated by sometime in 2021. That would mean less Plate F boxcars coming into the Bronx full of newsprint paper rolls. I don’t know if New Haven distributors would get this business for final delivery to Queens via truck. That plant was open for 19 years and took rail delivery since its inception in 2001.
 #1553361  by ccutler

I suspect that newsprint shipments are way down over the last 10 years as news has mostly gone on-line. The NY Post probably doesn't need as big a print facility anymore [though I did not see your article]. I haven't been to Oak Point in 3 years since I moved to NJ, but I remember that most of the box cars in the yard went to the beverage distributers and the warehouses right next to the yard, with relatively little going to the NY Post.
 #1562162  by Teutobergerwald

CSX have any MP-15ac's, or other end-cab switchers, such as SW-1500's, in use at Oak Point Yard, or are road-switchers used for the yard and local work?