Railroad Forums 

• CSX Readville Yard Boston

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1503552  by GP40MC1118

MS Walker moved from Somerville to the S&S plant, so there should be tank cars going into that place too.

D
 #1503802  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

roberttosh wrote:Does Americold at South Bay still get cars?
yes, there are 3 freezer cars there currently as we speak.

Also, as to the runaway boxcar incident, this accident occurred just East of Canton Junction, not at the Route. ACSES did put him into a hit when he put the reverser into the Reverse position, that movement of the reverser needs to be acknowledged almost immediate. The locomotive in the incident was the 1030
 #1505262  by Narrowgauger

In a strange turn of events I took a ride through the yard Friday. There were 37 boxcars, 3 tank cars and 14 bulkhead flats (all loads) For ages there were about 12-18 cars at any one time. This was quite a shock as 4 tracks were loaded with cars. Nice sight indeed!
 #1505342  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Narrowgauger wrote:In a strange turn of events I took a ride through the yard Friday. There were 37 boxcars, 3 tank cars and 14 bulkhead flats (all loads) For ages there were about 12-18 cars at any one time. This was quite a shock as 4 tracks were loaded with cars. Nice sight indeed!
Trespassing and then anooonouncing it on the internet. Good job. :P
 #1505359  by theseaandalifesaver

^^^^ The yard is plenty easy to see from the street and other public spots. Like the Readville platform. Idiot. Also anytime I'm in Boston/MA in general. I usually drive through the yard to check it out. Nobody cares.
 #1505496  by Narrowgauger

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:
Narrowgauger wrote:In a strange turn of events I took a ride through the yard Friday. There were 37 boxcars, 3 tank cars and 14 bulkhead flats (all loads) For ages there were about 12-18 cars at any one time. This was quite a shock as 4 tracks were loaded with cars. Nice sight indeed!
Trespassing and then announcing it on the internet. Good job. :P
Ive been going there since the days of the New Haven. I lived across from the yard. For decades I have stopped and chat with employee and police alike for years. I have saved the rr thousands reporting looters and problems. They have taken my kids for cab rides bake and forth in the yard. You should try minding your own business. People who open their mouth trying to look cool usually look like idiots.
 #1505797  by QB 52.32

More storm clouds on Readville's horizon with the ex-Stop and Shop distribution center where Abex resides now targeted for re-development into housing. This would join re-development pressure for Widett Circle where Americold is located and re-development of Foxboro Terminals and the Westwood/Rt 128 Industrial Park.
 #1523891  by bostontrainguy

Amtrak Enthusiast wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:45 pm Wait, the Americold you guys are referring to is in South Boston, meaning CSX travels down the Fairmount Line?
Yes. I recall I used to see it come into Boston around 5 PM in the evening in the 80's. I used to work in Widett Circle. Don't know the present operation.
 #1560076  by RRCOMM

Today I was in Readville and saw a large number of Hopper cars in the yard (40 or more). Never saw these before. B731 took 20 west which gave him a total train of about 45 cars. Anyone know where these are going to or from?...

Also saw a Trackmobile switching cars at the former stop and shop facility.

Dennis
 #1560110  by johnpbarlow

Perhaps the hopper cars are used for C&D (construction and demolition) debris? There are a number of such shippers around Boston these days...
 #1560119  by roberttosh

C&D moves in gondola cars (i.e. open top with no bottom gates). Maybe salt cars for Taunton?