Railroad Forums 

• Did conrail inherit any steam engines?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#944886  by airman00

I was thinking about the fact that conrail sure inherited alot of different power from all the different companies that made up conrail. Got me wondering... If conrail inherited any steam engines? I recall steam power ending for most railroads by the early 50's? However, I was thinking perhaps 1 or 2 steam engines were still left rusting away in a yard somewhere still on a company's roster and when conrail was formed they came along with everything else. And if they did acquire any steam power did any get a conrail number?
 #945037  by Noel Weaver

Short answer - NO.
Lets look: Penn Central I believe it was donated the Pennsylvania collection to the RR Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg although at least one ended up elsewhere. The New York Central had none left, the last one went to the Museum of Transport in Missouri, Reading sold their last T-1's before the Conrail takeover, Erie and Lackawanna had none left, no Erie locomotives were preserved to my knowledge and one or two Lackawanna engines somewhere. Central New Jersey made the unfortunate move in 1956 to sell the last 4-6-0 Camalback no. 774 for scrap after saving it for a period for trips, they were absolutely broke at the time and made little effort to save this historic locomotive when the decision to sell it came, it went to the scrap yard as clean as a whistle and nicely painted too. Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines was using steam from both the PRR and the Reading until 1957 but the engines were actually owned by the Pennsylvania or the Reading as the case may be, all are history today. Lehigh and Hudson River was long dieselized and nothing was preserved.
To further this one even more, the last of the above railroads that made up Conrail to own active steam power was the Reading which kept 4 T-1's around for the Iron Horse Rambles which operated until about the mid 60's but after that they disposed of them. I think at least three of them have survived but none are operating.
Noel Weaver
 #947079  by Matt Langworthy

A couple of additional comments regarding steam locomotives and CR's predecessors.

1. The Lehigh Valley RR dieselized in the 1950s. They made NO attempt to save any steam locomotives.

2. There may be a lone Erie steam locomotive in South Korea- a K1 Pacific.
 #947085  by scottychaos

Matt Langworthy wrote:A couple of additional comments regarding steam locomotives and CR's predecessors.

1. The Lehigh Valley RR dieselized in the 1950s. They made NO attempt to save any steam locomotives.

2. There may be a lone Erie steam locomotive in South Korea- a K1 Pacific.
Possibly not true that the LV "made NO attempt to save any steam locomotive"

Local legend in Sayre says that in the early 50's when the LV was retiring all their 4-8-4 Wyomings, the railroad offered one to Sayre to display in the park right across from the Sayre passenger station. (at the time it was a park..today it is the "Newberrys" building, a store)
The town government, in its infinate wisdom, turned them down!
So the loco went to scrap with all the rest. :(

Also, the LV's inspection engine "Dorothy" almost survived..
she was bought (in the 1920's or 30's) by a retired LV official to use on a private track he set up on his estate..
He passed away, and his widow then donated the locomotive to a WWII scrap drive. :(

Two "almost" LV steam loco survivors, we were so close..

Scot
 #947954  by lvrr325

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on.

FWIW:

Existant DL&W engines include a 4-4-0 camelback in St. Louis and 2-6-0 565 in Scranton, in pieces. Some dispute on ownership on the 4-4-0.

Existant CNJ steam engines include one 0-6-0 and IIRC there is a camelback in the B&O Museum.

The Erie Pacific in Korea when obsolete/worn out was reportedly used for bombing practice.

In addition to the Rambles 4-8-4s at least one Reading camelback 0-4-0 survives, at Strasburg.

In addition to NYC 4-8-2s in Elkhart and St. Louis, there is an 0-6-0 in Utica and a 2-8-0 abandoned by it's secondhand purchaser in the woods in Maine in such a remote location there is no way to remove it. I'm sure there are others as well.
 #967138  by scharnhorst

Conrail did gain a few Steam Loco tenders for some of the cranes that were steam powered.
 #987234  by JimBoylan

PennCentral had some steam engines at 6 Flags amusement parks, but they weren't sold to ConRail.
The Lackawanna's 2nd steam engine, the Morris & Essex RR's "Essex", is on the steamer "Clarion", on the bottom of Lake Erie. It was sold to the Western Ohio RR in 1850, and didn't quite make it all the way to Toledo.
 #1007358  by Tadman

They may not have inherited any steam-moved locomotives, but they probably inherited a couple hundred locos with steam boilers - for passenger power. Conrail ran legacy commuter runs for about five years in Chicago, PHL, and New York behind diesels that most likely required steam heat. What's more interesting is that the actually leased or acquired steam heat cars for the Chicago service. The PRR equipment in place was in terrible shape, and when RTA/Metra funded new equipment for the N&W/Wabash commuter trains in Chicago, Conrail either bought or leased the N&W sets until Amtrak took over the PRR commuter service.
 #1007453  by Ken S.

Tadman wrote:They may not have inherited any steam-moved locomotives, but they probably inherited a couple hundred locos with steam boilers - for passenger power. Conrail ran legacy commuter runs for about five years in Chicago, PHL, and New York behind diesels that most likely required steam heat. What's more interesting is that the actually leased or acquired steam heat cars for the Chicago service. The PRR equipment in place was in terrible shape, and when RTA/Metra funded new equipment for the N&W/Wabash commuter trains in Chicago, Conrail either bought or leased the N&W sets until Amtrak took over the PRR commuter service.
The Philly operation was mostly MU or RDC with 3 FP7s used for a train to somewhere out of Reading Terminal.

The Chicago operation was passenger Geeps with P70 cars until the N&W cars came over.

New York had a mix of MUs, RDCs, and diesel equipment that included 13 GP40Ps from the CNJ along with what can be considered the CNJ's only streamliners as well as P70s, GG1, E8s, FL9s, and other steam-heated equipment. The only HEP equipped cars in the NY area were the U34CH and Comet I cars that came from the Erie Lackawanna.