Railroad Forums 

• Syracuse questions

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#830017  by fiend540

I'm wondering what types of Locos Conrail used in the Syracuse area for yard and local power in the late 80's to mid 90's? Any other info from this time period, such as which locals they ran, industries that they served, any links to track maps or useful info would be awesome and greatly appreciated. I'm doing research for a model railroad I am planning and would like to be as prototypical as possible. Thanks in advance!
 #830100  by lvrr325

The track layout hasn't changed all that much except for minor things related to the NYS&W takeover of the former DL&W in 1992, moving the Amtrack station and the addition of CP-290, and the removal of the tracks into Marley's scrap yard when the mall was built. And of course the new intermodal yard was built during that period, eliminating the hump switching at Dewitt. The only other big change I can think of is they abandoned most of the former West Shore Belle Isle yard and sold some of the land to the NYS Fairgrounds also in that era.

I was a fairly avid railfan in the mid-1990s and primary Syracuse local power was always B23-7s or GP38s, with occasional use of GP40s; until the hump was removed some jobs had SD38/slug sets. They'd use anything that was available if necessary, though, one night a Dewitt puller had a UP SD40-2 for power. Very rarely a GP10 might show up, I have pictures of a couple of them. Most traveling jobs like the Solvay Hill local and the WADE-10 that worked the Baldwinsville Secondary got two units. I suspect as you go back into the 1980s when GP35s and GP30s were more common, you'd see them. SW1500s and other units almost never turned up here - they weren't unheard of, but not very common. And my dad has a super-8 movie he let me take as a kid about 1985 where we caught a Dewitt Geep (RS3m) picking up a car at CP-293.

Most of the industries are still there if not active, a few have been torn down or handed to other carriers.

When I was avid you had an afternoon and a night job to work Solvay including the east end of the Auburn branch and the former DL&W down to Jamesville, a day and sometimes a night job for the B'ville secondary, and various yard jobs working mostly in the yard including the lead to New Process Gear, the lead to 84 Lumber that used to connect to the old Earlville branch remnant, etc. I belive there was a day job to work track eight and track seven between CP-291 and CP-286. Back then you had the GM plant and some business at Carrier, as well as a batch of other side customers.

The Auburn branch only had about three customers and only one at the end, Southern Container. Further west where Taylor Rental is was once Estlinbaum's Lumber and got cars in; and there was a cheese plant in Hartlot that got cars occasionally. I'm not sure what year they ceased through service on the line, but in 1992 nothing ran between Auburn and Camillus.

And all work on the south end of the Montreal Secondary was handled by locals out of Woodard and Fulton, you had a WAFU-10/20 that would run to Dewitt and back (it might outlaw on the day crew and return with the night crew) that also did some drops at Woodard. Some of the road trains could drop cars there, too, at one time CNSE might drop hot cars for Alcoa at Woodard before coming into Dewitt.
 #830103  by fiend540

Awesome that's just the type of info I was looking for thanks! This does raise a few more questions though, when you mentioned gp38's and gp40's were the of the dash-2 variety? When did they remove the hump? My main focus is really the whole Woodard area so any more specifics from that particular area would be pretty helpful. Thanks again!
 #830125  by Noel Weaver

Up until my retirement in late 1997 there were 1900 class B23-7's all over the place in Dewitt. Anything else was not common
although not impossible to find.
Noel Weaver
 #830354  by fiend540

Noel Weaver wrote:Up until my retirement in late 1997 there were 1900 class B23-7's all over the place in Dewitt. Anything else was not common
although not impossible to find.
Noel Weaver
Looks like I need to add some GE's to my roster then :P
 #831776  by fiend540

Anyone else have any info to share about the Syracuse area? Pictures from that time frame would be awesome as well :)
 #833186  by dansapo

fiend540 wrote:Anyone else have any info to share about the Syracuse area? Pictures from that time frame would be awesome as well :)
I can dig some up...just have to get my scanner out.
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1143602122
I remember seeing GP-38-2's and GP-15's on the Auburn branch switching Southern Container (old location) and U-28b's and B28-7 by B'ville
 #833213  by fiend540

dansapo wrote:
fiend540 wrote:Anyone else have any info to share about the Syracuse area? Pictures from that time frame would be awesome as well :)
I can dig some up...just have to get my scanner out.
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1143602122
I remember seeing GP-38-2's and GP-15's on the Auburn branch switching Southern Container (old location) and U-28b's and B28-7 by B'ville

Sweet thanks for the link. Any more you have would me appreciated but don't feel obligated if it's a big pain or anything. Thanks again :-D
 #833539  by lvrr325

Both dash-2 and non dash-2 EMDs turned up for as long as they were on the roster; eventually Conrail sold off all the GP40s and moved the remaining plain SD40s into the lease fleet or rebuilt them (I caught I think 7 of 8 former CNJ SD40s passing in road trains). GP15s were uncommon, I only remember one. Almost anything could turn up passing through, though, including the former RDG GP40-2s, LV GP38ACs, and a few times the former EL SD45-2's. Of course prior to 1990 older units would be more prevalent. But for locals it was mostly B23s with GP38s/-2's from time to time.

I do remember seeing SW1500s a few times - once switching in the old Geddess St. yard, on a siding to a meat packer that ran about a block north of the yard itself; once switching on the old 1st Ward along Hiawatha Blvd. Both of those in the mid-80s at latest. So they may have been more prevalent at one time.

What I kick myself for missing is toward the end of the CR Auburn/Canandaigua branch ops, they put the B23 on the ground in Auburn on like a Wednesday. CR had moved one of the two locals from Geneva to Lyons so they were giving the GY-12 a GP10 for a spare unit to save doubling the grades EB into Auburn. So on Thursday the GP10 made the trip to Canandaigua, alone. 7517 if I remember right.

I forget what year they built the current intermodal terminal. 1994?

Worth modeling: Behind the Crouse-Hinds plant, where CP-290 starts, they had some erosion problems along the main on the north (technically west in that spot) side. So they pushed out a gutted old NYC coach, dumped it over the bank and kind of half buried it to stablize things. Still had NYC lettering and 2-tone paint on it when I saw it.
 #835968  by fiend540

Thanks for the extra input, I received my copy of a 1996 ZTS for the region and it is interesting to see how much has changed in just 14 years.
 #873626  by scharnhorst

it was also not uncommon to have a lot of CN locomotives at the fueling pad I can rember seeing a lot of ALCO's and MLW HR616's and HR416's and every now and then a MLW M430 on occation. It was also vary common to see CN wide cab GP38's and wide cab SD40-2W's. I'm not sure but I think some Conrail's Repowered ALCO RS3MODS may have also stuck around till the mid 80's as well. Conrail also had an ALCO RSD12 mated with an RSD5 Slug for hump power in the late 70's working the yard.

I also rember the B23-7s and C30-7A's that seemed to also kick around the area they seemed to be more common than EMD's most of the time. The C30-7's mostley ran back and forth on the Boston line but they did stray back and forth to Buffalo on occation. If you want to go back a bit to the late 70's early 80's Conrail also keeped there U28C's in the area as well.

Going down the Auburn line as is there was Allied Signal still getting coal drags for the power house (furmer Trigen Plant )there and southern container. In Skaneatlas Falls there was an interchange with the Skaneatlas Jct shortline Railroad till 1985 which was owned by Stauffer Chemicals by then. Empire Cheese was also in Skaneatlas Jct but had no rail sideing. farther down the road In Auburn General Crushed stone had an asphalt plant and quarry, Austeel (now Nucor) was built in the Auburn area as well in the mid 70's. There was also a Flour mill which on occation shipped by rail the mill closed in 1980. Agway was also vary active in the Auburn area as well along with Columbian Rope and Singer (now called McQuay). I do not know if Beacon Feeds was still in operation in Cayuga, NY by the time Conrail came around or not. Gould Pumps ended service in the mid 70's in the Penn Central era.

If you want I have one of the last Employees Guides to DeWitt Yard East Syracuse, NY dated for October 1979. It gives all the info from car capacity on all the tracks and what the classifications and track numbers were assigned to what citys I also have the full blue prints of the yard from 1979 as well.
 #873657  by fiend540

scharnhorst wrote:it was also not uncommon to have a lot of CN locomotives at the fueling pad I can rember seeing a lot of ALCO's and MLW HR616's and HR416's and every now and then a MLW M430 on occation. It was also vary common to see CN wide cab GP38's and wide cab SD40-2W's. I'm not sure but I think some Conrail's Repowered ALCO RS3MODS may have also stuck around till the mid 80's as well. Conrail also had an ALCO RSD12 mated with an RSD5 Slug for hump power in the late 70's working the yard.

I also rember the B23-7s and C30-7A's that seemed to also kick around the area they seemed to be more common than EMD's most of the time. The C30-7's mostley ran back and forth on the Boston line but they did stray back and forth to Buffalo on occation. If you want to go back a bit to the late 70's early 80's Conrail also keeped there U28C's in the area as well.

Going down the Auburn line as is there was Allied Signal still getting coal drags for the power house (furmer Trigen Plant )there and southern container. In Skaneatlas Falls there was an interchange with the Skaneatlas Jct shortline Railroad till 1985 which was owned by Stauffer Chemicals by then. Empire Cheese was also in Skaneatlas Jct but had no rail sideing. farther down the road In Auburn General Crushed stone had an asphalt plant and quarry, Austeel (now Nucor) was built in the Auburn area as well in the mid 70's. There was also a Flour mill which on occation shipped by rail the mill closed in 1980. Agway was also vary active in the Auburn area as well along with Columbian Rope and Singer (now called McQuay). I do not know if Beacon Feeds was still in operation in Cayuga, NY by the time Conrail came around or not. Gould Pumps ended service in the mid 70's in the Penn Central era.

If you want I have one of the last Employees Guides to DeWitt Yard East Syracuse, NY dated for October 1979. It gives all the info from car capacity on all the tracks and what the classifications and track numbers were assigned to what citys I also have the full blue prints of the yard from 1979 as well.
Woah, thanks for all the additional info! I would love to get a look at the blue prints/Employee guides, thanks for offering.