Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Suburban Philadelphia Line To Chester?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#808224  by CSXT 4617

Calling all Conrail fans!
Hi I am CSXT 4617 (named after the CSX diesel that wore C&O paint) and I was wondering what is the name of the former Conrail line to Trainer Yard, near Chester, Pennsylvania. I believe it's the Conrail Chester Secondary. But, I think the line was given to Norfolk Southern after the Conrail break up. But, I see CSX power, so I'm baffled. This line also parallels the SEPTA R1 Airport Line from near the Northeast Corridor to just beyond the SEPTA Eastwick Station. So, can anyone tell me what the name of that line is and why Conrail (or whomever owns the line) has to wait to access the part where R1 Regional Rail trains merge in? I know, because in 2006, I saw an ex-Conrail Special Duty (SD) type diesel with a Norfolk Southern Special Duty (SD) unit with a freight train waiting to access the line. But I have seen Union Pacific power on the line (I haven't seen one since 2006.) with coal train service with a Norfolk Southern unit. Besides the name of the line, can someone tell me how many trains use the railroad line? Thanks, I'd really appreciate this.
With regards,
CSXT 4617
 #810431  by ExCon90

It's been a week now without a reply, so I'll put in what I know. I think the line you're referring to was known as the Stoney Creek Secondary. As far as I know from back before the split, the portion shared with the Airport Line is dispatched by SEPTA, and freight pretty much has to wait for a gap between Airport trains. I had an idea that freight had to wait for the midnight hours after the Airport service goes to bed to use the line, but it may be possible to shoehorn a freight train in during the day if things work out right, but I don't know whether they do it. I think the only freight traffic on the line is unit coal trains for a power plant (in Eddystone?), but someone with more up-to-date information would have to answer that.
 #811042  by mb38

The freight trains do run during the daylight hours - they usually proceed just after both
Septa trains have cleared. Have seen mixed freights on a few occassions. They also run on either track.
 #987503  by PRSL2005

Conrail s Chester Secondary starts at Eastwick Jct ( Near RG Tower on CSX's Philly Sub) SEPTA's Airport line joins it ,then leaves it. then going into Chester and ends at "Stoney Creek yard" in Marcus Hook Pa. The line was built by the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad later sold to the RDG. The Chester Secondary formed by Conrail used both the RDG and a PRR branch into Stoney Creek yard, before CR was two yards side by side, one PRR (river side of the yard) and Reading's side to the west. The line South of Eddystone is more PRR. The line north is ex RDG.
But using the PRR bridge over Chester creek. Just north of Chester Creek was Wanamaker Yard of the RDG with a eng house.
You could call this line the Chemical Coast line of PA with all the plants it servers.
 #988530  by econandon

PRSL2005 wrote:Conrail s Chester Secondary is in Delaware County. Not in Bucks County 40 some miles north.
Are you referring to the distinction between the CSAO Stony Creek yard (in the city of Chester in Delaware County) vs the ex-CSX Stony Creek Branch (near Lansdale in Bucks County)?

FWIW - this past summer, the Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad took over operations on the Stony Creek Branch.
 #989199  by metroliner800

airman00 wrote:This might be a photo of the line in question:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=39273

(Not my photo) Also it shows a daylight freight move. Cool picture with the sw1001 leading. :)
This pic is about 40 miles north of Marcus Hook. The line you are asking about is regularly used for coal runs to the PECO power plant and some river work.
I'll try to find some pics of a shipment of G.E. Erie Builds going out on the port.
 #996158  by bluedash2

The Chester Sec is mainly used for CSX C-788 to access to CSAO's Chester Yard (Stoney Creek). The PECO plant in Eddystone switched to natural gas in March as the last NS 501 (empties) departed at the end of February. According to BigBri, that line is pretty much dead other than the 788 and CSAO working up in Tinicum Twp when needed. Sad indeed.
 #998511  by glennk419

econandon wrote:
PRSL2005 wrote:Conrail s Chester Secondary is in Delaware County. Not in Bucks County 40 some miles north.
Are you referring to the distinction between the CSAO Stony Creek yard (in the city of Chester in Delaware County) vs the ex-CSX Stony Creek Branch (near Lansdale in Bucks County)?

FWIW - this past summer, the Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad took over operations on the Stony Creek Branch.
Actually, the Stony Creek branch between Norristown and Lansdale is owned by SEPTA and now maintained in its' entirety by CSX. Until CSX gave up the Lansdale cluster this past summer, NS maintained the western half of the branch (where all the derailments seem to occur) and CSX the eastern portion. CSX's C-746 job still has the responsibility of moving traffic between Woodbourne and Lansdale and is the only "regular" traffic on the branch at this point. While PNR has taken over local Lansdale responsibility, they only have trackage rights on the easternmost three miles of the Stony Creek.

Sorry for the O/T post but just wanted to clear up this little tidbit.
 #1001033  by econandon

glennk419 wrote:
Actually, the Stony Creek branch between Norristown and Lansdale is owned by SEPTA and now maintained in its' entirety by CSX. Until CSX gave up the Lansdale cluster this past summer, NS maintained the western half of the branch (where all the derailments seem to occur) and CSX the eastern portion. CSX's C-746 job still has the responsibility of moving traffic between Woodbourne and Lansdale and is the only "regular" traffic on the branch at this point. While PNR has taken over local Lansdale responsibility, they only have trackage rights on the easternmost three miles of the Stony Creek.

Sorry for the O/T post but just wanted to clear up this little tidbit.
No worries. I appreciate the clarification.
 #1115738  by skm

CSXT 4617 wrote:Calling all Conrail fans!
Hi I am CSXT 4617 (named after the CSX diesel that wore C&O paint) and I was wondering what is the name of the former Conrail line to Trainer Yard, near Chester, Pennsylvania. I believe it's the Conrail Chester Secondary. But, I think the line was given to Norfolk Southern after the Conrail break up. But, I see CSX power, so I'm baffled. This line also parallels the SEPTA R1 Airport Line from near the Northeast Corridor to just beyond the SEPTA Eastwick Station. So, can anyone tell me what the name of that line is and why Conrail (or whomever owns the line) has to wait to access the part where R1 Regional Rail trains merge in? I know, because in 2006, I saw an ex-Conrail Special Duty (SD) type diesel with a Norfolk Southern Special Duty (SD) unit with a freight train waiting to access the line. But I have seen Union Pacific power on the line (I haven't seen one since 2006.) with coal train service with a Norfolk Southern unit. Besides the name of the line, can someone tell me how many trains use the railroad line? Thanks, I'd really appreciate this.
With regards,
CSXT 4617
The line also serves Monroe Energy (former Conoco Refinery) in Trainer Pa, as well as Sunoco, Braskem and Honeywell in Marcus Hook, Pa. I think the line also serves Kimberly Clark in Chester. I've seen CSX (lately) and NS in the past.
 #1125492  by mitch kennedy

Still a busy line! In Rdg days, it was the Chester Branch, with Darby Creek Yard as the hub and a scheduled road freight (at one point, to Rutherford) daily to and from the yard, at least til the early 70's. Here is a shot from 1971 of GP7 634, RS3 510 and GP35 3634 ready to hook on and head west. VO1000m 2710 was the yard power that day.
Attachments:
rddcpwr.jpg
rddcpwr.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 11063 times