Railroad Forums 

• E40 (Former Pennsy E40, Former NH EP5 "Jet"

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#862011  by Noel Weaver

These locomotives suffered from the lack of maintenance mostly because both the New Haven and Penn Central were absolutely broke. They suffered from the restrictions in their operation into Grand Central Terminal, they were generally cramped inside. Everyone of us who ran these engines were always concerned that something could happen while we were running these motors. I personally liked running them but I was always concerned about the possibility of something terrible happening. I was always concerned with the possibility of a fire. One night on HB-8 we were leaving Harlem River and for some reason something just didn't seem right to me, I looked out the window and the resistance brids were red hot and a candidate to catch fire, we immediately lowered the pantograph and called for another engine. This probably saved the 376 from a serious fire and helped keep this motor running a little bit longer. That night they towed the motor to the shop and it was back on the road a few days later. Did it hurt them to run one every night, 5 nights a week, on HB-8 to New Haven? I don't think it hurt them too bad but again I don't think it did them any good either. I ran that job most nights and for the most part they did a decent job with that particular train and we did not have trouble with them except for that one night. Funny thing was the return on BH-7 was regularly assigned a pair of FL-9's and not a jet. I can't recall just why the power cycle was worked with way with a jet in one direction and a pair of FL-9's the other but the job ran this way for quite some time.
Noel Weaver
 #862266  by lvrr325

Based on the pantograph removal and the lettering, it appears they were modified to only have one operational cab? Note the pan, road number and a small "F" all on the same end of the shots of the '73 and '77 above (although, oddly, the engineer's side of the '77 has the number at the rear). Normally a unit that can be operated in either direction is marked F1 and F2 at each end.
 #862351  by Noel Weaver

lvrr325 wrote:Based on the pantograph removal and the lettering, it appears they were modified to only have one operational cab? Note the pan, road number and a small "F" all on the same end of the shots of the '73 and '77 above (although, oddly, the engineer's side of the '77 has the number at the rear). Normally a unit that can be operated in either direction is marked F1 and F2 at each end.
With a double end electric locomotive one end was designated the front and this end had the "F". The other end did not have an "F". In the case of the jets, they were double ended motors and I don't think this was changed on the 4973 and 4977 after they were confined to freight service. As for the cabs themselves, one was the no. 1 end and the other the no. 2 end. On these locomotives the no. 1 end had the air brake equipment in the nose while the no. 2 end had the MG set in the nose. Seems to me the batteries were also in the no. 2 end nose but I will not swear to that, it has been a long time since these motors have been around and since I ran them. On most if not all electric locomotives the handbrake was also on the no. 1 end and this was the situation with the jets too.
Noel Weaver
 #862357  by lvrr325

Yes, what I meant to say is most locomotives with dual controls are designated with a #1 and a #2 end, appearing on the sides as F1 and F2, it's odd these are marked the same as say an F7A would be.
 #862386  by Noel Weaver

lvrr325 wrote:Yes, what I meant to say is most locomotives with dual controls are designated with a #1 and a #2 end, appearing on the sides as F1 and F2, it's odd these are marked the same as say an F7A would be.
Per government regs., only an "F" on one end, don't believe me, go look at an Amtrak electric engine and see if you find an "F" on both ends. Not unless things have changed since my working days.
Noel Weaver
 #862390  by green_elite_cab

lvrr325 wrote:Based on the pantograph removal and the lettering, it appears they were modified to only have one operational cab? Note the pan, road number and a small "F" all on the same end of the shots of the '73 and '77 above (although, oddly, the engineer's side of the '77 has the number at the rear). Normally a unit that can be operated in either direction is marked F1 and F2 at each end.
No, It was simply removing a surplus pantograph and saving money on paint (why put the road number on twice? On the GG1s, i think the "double road number" is a carry over from the PRR) and I've seen them run both ways.

However, They don't put more than 1 set of Fs. I've collected a bunch of prototype photos of E44s (Dual controlled), GG1s, none of them have more than one set of Fs. Why would you put another set of Fs? that could create confusion, especially if the 1 or 2 wasn't readily visible. All you need is one F. If you don't see the F, you can assume its not the front at just a glance.

Noel Weaver wrote:With a double end electric locomotive one end was designated the front and this end had the "F". The other end did not have an "F". In the case of the jets, they were double ended motors and I don't think this was changed on the 4973 and 4977 after they were confined to freight service. As for the cabs themselves, one was the no. 1 end and the other the no. 2 end. On these locomotives the no. 1 end had the air brake equipment in the nose while the no. 2 end had the MG set in the nose. Seems to me the batteries were also in the no. 2 end nose but I will not swear to that, it has been a long time since these motors have been around and since I ran them. On most if not all electric locomotives the handbrake was also on the no. 1 end and this was the situation with the jets too.
Noel Weaver
The batteries were definitely on the No.2 end, as i've heard stories of incredible battery acid smell in that cab.
 #862439  by Noel Weaver

green_elite_cab wrote:
The batteries were definitely on the No.2 end, as i've heard stories of incredible battery acid smell in that cab.
For sure I should have remembered that, they really did stink.
Noel Weaver
 #862535  by green_elite_cab

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:here is another from my collection,taken summer 75. i remember the train line routed thru the headlight seemed odd.
It had definitely been in storage for a year or so at this point, never to run again.
 #862541  by Noel Weaver

green_elite_cab wrote:
RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:here is another from my collection,taken summer 75. i remember the train line routed thru the headlight seemed odd.
It had definitely been in storage for a year or so at this point, never to run again.
The 4976 was not one of the ones that were used in freight service on the former PRR lines in New Jersey. Most likely as stated this engine was on its way to the scrap yard. My explanation for the hose in the headlight, most likely a runaround hose because the air brakes could not be made operable and the train line through the locomotive is busted, missing or badly damaged. Use of a runaround hose would allow air to pass through the locomotive to cars behind the thing. Use of runaround hoses was common on hospital or scrap trains over the years and I would suspect still today.
Noel Weaver