Railroad Forums 

• Industrial Track Bronx/Mt Vernon off Harlem Tk 3

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#753614  by Tommy Meehan

I was just reading some earlier threads regarding Conrail freight operations. Thought to ask about an operation I used to see in the mid- to late-1980s.

This was a customer located on the Bronx / Mt. Vernon border, reached off the Harlem's Tk 3. What made it interesting was, they were a couple hundred yards from the Harlem Line and not connected to the New Haven. They received covered hoppers of plastic pellets I do believe. Though there were usually four-five cars on their siding, I would see the same cars there sometimes for a week or more. Once I watched them unloading. They'd hook up hoses underneath the hoppers' compartments and it sounded like they used air to unload them. Think it was plastic pellets for one reason, you'd see them scattered on the ground.

What made it really interesting was that to reach them, an actual switchback was used. First, the Harlem local would come north on Track 3, then back up (and I mean up!) a track going into the triangle of land formed by the Harlem to the west and the New Haven's GCT-bound flyover to the east. Also located up there was an old NYC substation. Once they got up on the hill they would back all the way south behind the substation where the tail track for the switchback was located. Once clear of the switch the brakeman would realign it (away from Harlem Tk 3 and towards the industrial track) and they would pull forward.

The few times I saw them working that track the crew was using one of the MP15 engines of which Oak Point had a few.

Towards the end -- maybe 1988 -- I saw them getting ready to use a three-unit set of B23-7s to go in there. 1900s I think. Later that day, en route to GCT on a Metro-North Harlem passenger train, I heard the crew talking about the Conrail engines that had turned over a rail near Woodlawn. Yeah it was the three B23-7s I saw earlier. They were up on the hill by the substation.

The Conrail people were still there, many hours later, still trying to get the units rerailed in a what was a very difficult place to work in, I'm sure. (I had walked that track one weekend.) No room, soft ground, big units, bad rail, the works!

I just wondered if someone (Noel Weaver?) ever worked that siding. Most people, even fans from that area, don't even know where I'm talking about. I only learned of it from taking a short cut through there from Mt. Vernon West train station to the subway on White Plains Rd. I used to see the switch off Harlem Tk 3 and did not know it was active. When I realized the track went up the hill and towards the substation I was astounded.

I think about 1989 the consignee stopped receiving cars. There were a couple hoppers there literally for months. When they finally pulled them out that was it. Sad to see it go though.
 #753625  by SooLineRob

Small world Tommy...

I spent hours around Wakefield and Woodlawn, and know exactly where your're talking about.

I also spent time "exploring" the area ... when such trespasses were tolerated (low key and out of the way).

Can't comment on operations though, just as an observer...
 #753635  by Tommy Meehan

It is a small world Rob. Thanks, interesting to know.

There was a non-main track too, I think, along Harlem 3. They had another consignee there if you recall, right along the Harlem Line. Changed hands a few times but was a Budweiser distrbutor in the '80s I think. I think their switch was off the non-main track, not off Harlem main track 3. Can't remember for sure.

Someone who once worked there told me the plug door box cars I saw on their siding brought in empty deposit bottles. They'd wash 'em and reuse 'em. Everything they shipped out was local and by truck.

Come to think of it, to deliver the cars of plastic pellets they must've gone diesels in first to the tail track, then back the cars through the switch and into the consignee's siding. I remember when I walked it, probably a spring Sunday afternoon, thinking wow there was a heckuva a lot more track up there by the substation then it looked like from ground level.

Yes you're right too. If you walked around there now the police would probably arrive. But even as late as the 1980s as long as you didn't get too conspicous no one would pay any attention to you.
 #753671  by Noel Weaver

While I worked Metro-North passenger trains on both the Harlem and New Haven in that area, I never covered any of the
local freights that did that work. I seem to recall the trackage but I can't help with any details.
I can tell you one story in connection with the Harlem, As a former New Haven person, I never ever worked freight between
MO and Woodlawn UNTIL after the Penn Central takeover when they ran a train CH-4 and CH-3 for a period between Selkirk
and Cedar Hill via New York. At first it went through Port Morris to Oak Point where it changed crews in front of the yard
office but then somebody got the bright idea of changing crews on the South Wye at MO and running it up the Harlem to
Woodlawn. I covered it often using that route and the first couple of times it felt really strange to be running a heavy
tonnage freight train up the Harlem to Woodlawn a line that I had been running passenger trains for a long time over. I soon got used to it and it indeed saved a lot of time on the trip.
It was a pretty decent job to cover out of Oak Point, we yarded the train at Cedar and turned immediately to CH-3 and ran it
back to MO where we again got relieved behind the tower on the South Wye. They generally gave us a good shot both ways
provided we were on good time because they wanted that train off the Harlem and out of the New York area before the start
of the morning rush hour. After they fixed up the line between Beacon and Hopewell Junction this train ran between Selkirk
and Cedar Hill via Danbury and one crew handled the entire trip.
Noel Weaver
 #753806  by Tommy Meehan

Thanks Noel. Sorry you didn't work that local, but interesting about the Cedar Hill train you mention. Coming up the Harlem through JO and the cut through Mt. Vernon, must've been quite a sight.

Btw, your old buddy from "boot camp," Lew C from the NYC, told me he was called for that job as brakeman one December 24th when everyone had marked off. He caught it at Selkirk that evening. One-way, when they got to Cedar Hill Conrail taxied them back to the passenger station and they deadheaded home on the first Amtrak train
 #753960  by shlustig

IIRC, c. 1970's we had 2 consignees at the Mt. Vernon Freight Yard: a potato broker and the beverage dealer.

Also, the White Plains Traveling Switcher (Jimmy Roach, cond.) used to sit there during the AM and PM rush hours as that was our emergency relief job.
 #754008  by Tommy Meehan

One interesting fact about the trackage reached via the switchback abutting the NH flyover and NYC substation, I think prior to electrification it was actually located along what was then the Harlem main line through Mt. Vernon. In fact I'm almost sure of it. Not that it was reached the same way, I don't mean that.

The main was then located in the middle of what is today MacQuesten Parkway, and was moved west (and elevated) during the electrification to eliminate grade crossings. The old main joined the current alignment on the west (or north end) about where the beverage distributor Shel mentions was (and I think still is) located. I read about this in the William Wilgus papers at the NY Public Library.

The Budweiser distributor I mentioned was located further east (south), closer to Wakefield station than Mt. Vernon, and actually in the Bronx I think. They're gone and that whole area was taken over by NYPD. Ever notice all the wooden barricades they put up at parades and special events in the city? That area is now the facility where they store and repair them. (Anyone, maybe Rob, recall around 1969 when NY City Transit stacked old junked buses at the same location? Some kids naturally set them on fire one night. Not me!)

I knew someone who worked for the vegetable packer at Mt. Vernon. This was in the early 1970s when it was still run by Del Monte. It's still there and I still see cars on the siding every time I go past. It's now owned by an outfit called Ace Endico I believe.
 #754109  by Noel Weaver

Tommy Meehan wrote:One interesting fact about the trackage reached via the switchback abutting the NH flyover and NYC substation, I think prior to electrification it was actually located along what was then the Harlem main line through Mt. Vernon. In fact I'm almost sure of it. Not that it was reached the same way, I don't mean that.

The main was then located in the middle of what is today MacQuesten Parkway, and was moved west (and elevated) during the electrification to eliminate grade crossings. The old main joined the current alignment on the west (or north end) about where the beverage distributor Shel mentions was (and I think still is) located. I read about this in the William Wilgus papers at the NY Public Library.

The Budweiser distributor I mentioned was located further east (south), closer to Wakefield station than Mt. Vernon, and actually in the Bronx I think. They're gone and that whole area was taken over by NYPD. Ever notice all the wooden barricades they put up at parades and special events in the city? That area is now the facility where they store and repair them. (Anyone, maybe Rob, recall around 1969 when NY City Transit stacked old junked buses at the same location? Some kids naturally set them on fire one night. Not me!)

I knew someone who worked for the vegetable packer at Mt. Vernon. This was in the early 1970s when it was still run by Del Monte. It's still there and I still see cars on the siding every time I go past. It's now owned by an outfit called Ace Endico I believe.
I remember this happening but I don't remember what year it was. The old buses still had tires on them and what a mess
it was.
Noel Weaver
 #754335  by Tommy Meehan

Noel having thought about it the bus fire was in 1965-66 I think. I knew a kid in high school who I remember mentioning the buses stacked on top of one another. They were stacked about five high. That would've been around 1965.

Btw, I took a ride through there yesterday. The Nereid Avenue (E.241st St) bridge goes right over the area where the lead to the industrial track and switchback was. The substation would've been to the south and the old Budweiser distributor (building still there) is to the north. The consignee was further north and to the east.
 #754701  by Tommy Meehan

shlustig wrote:White Plains Traveling Switcher (Jimmy Roach, cond.) used to sit there during the AM and PM rush hours as that was our emergency relief job.
A high school buddy of mine lived two doors down from Jimmy in Silver Lake. Quite a character!
 #762335  by Buffalobillho

The Budwiser Distributor was Sound Distributing, they used to recieve some AB products that were not brewed in Newark, NJ, by RBL from the ST. Louis Brewery. Most of their product was recieved by trailer from Newark. The Plastic's operation was known as Ampacet in the 1980 time frame. I think they recieved Styrene by Covered Hopper Car. Along with Endico Food Products on N. Macquesten Parkway which recieved copious numbers of PFE 57' Paccar Refers. These were the 3 seriously active shippers in Southern Westchester and N. Bronx on the Harlem. Tulnoy Lumber on Webster south of 173Rd, and a shipper on the North Leg of the east Wye at MO roundered it out. Until North White. In the seventies the Team track on MacQuesten Pky north of Endico was active. MN used this track for MOW storage last time I saw it.
 #767364  by conductorbob

This is realy an add on to Noel's posting of the CH3/4 trains at MO tower. I was working 3rd trick at MO tower and I remember when the CH3/4 trains used to change crews there. One story comes to mind the night that the tower operators were going on strike. It was in 1970 and the director, Ken Mckenna, got on the radio and told the Hudson div. crew to get going or they outlaw at MO. The NH crew got right on their train and I know that the track speed around the wye was exceeded that night.