Railroad Forums 

• Where do YOU want to go? (Excursion)

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#775442  by JimBoylan

In Aug., 2002, I paid $2,400 to ride a dome car Harrisburg - Erie - Bessemer & Lake Erie RR - McKeesport (actually on the Union RR) - duBois - Driftwood - Harrisburg, a 3 day - 2 night trip. There was one unsold space in that car, an upper berth in a Drawing Room. It was offered at $1,400 morning of the trip, $2,200 advance purchase.
 #775690  by rswinnerton

Jim, that sounds like one heck of a trip! It's a little more than we were looking to put together, but something I'd find very interesting. We're still tossing ideas around, but will keep all ideas open untill we finally decide.
Thanks for all the input guys!
Russ
 #775782  by airman00

I know you said CSX doesn't like excursions, but what about a simple trip up and down the northern branch. Start by near end of line in new york, and go down and back, I'd like that. In fact someone said this line was former Erie railroad mainline?
 #775903  by Noel Weaver

airman00 wrote:I know you said CSX doesn't like excursions, but what about a simple trip up and down the northern branch. Start by near end of line in new york, and go down and back, I'd like that. In fact someone said this line was former Erie railroad mainline?
This wouldn't be much of a trip, it is all yard trackage and might be exempted track as well at this point. It would likely be
a no go.
Noel Weaver
 #775910  by Kaback9

Lehigh Line and Port Reading Secondary.

Start in Allentown go to PRJ and take the Secondary down to Port Reading from Port Reading head to Oak Island and back through Oak Island and up the Lehigh Line or if it can be done instead of using the Shared Assets portion all the way to Bound Brook use the old CNJ main from Aldene to Bound Brook at Bound Brook switch back to the Lehigh Line and back to Allentown. That could all be done in a day.
 #776207  by goodnightjohnwayne

Noel Weaver wrote:The St. Lawrence from Syracuse to Massena and return. There is a good chance that I would travel up from Florida to ride
this interesting line.
Noel Weaver
Actually, the CSX OCS did this exact trip back on July 8, 2009. According to various posters(lvrr325, joha107 and roadster) the two car, two locomotive business train cleared CP-291 at about 6:55am, came through Watertown at 9:55am, left Massena at 3:55pm, picked up a crew at Watertown, arrived back at Syracuse at around 10:45pm.
 #776438  by Noel Weaver

I have a TN in my collection when Conrail ran all the way to Windsor Station, Montreal some years back. Somewhat later on
they ran to Massena and I think I could have gotten on that one but it would have forced me to take two trips off because of
the schedule and I decided against it. I wish today that I had done it though.
Noel Weaver
 #776899  by RailsEast

Kaback9 wrote:Lehigh Line and Port Reading Secondary.

Start in Allentown go to PRJ and take the Secondary down to Port Reading from Port Reading head to Oak Island and back through Oak Island and up the Lehigh Line or if it can be done instead of using the Shared Assets portion all the way to Bound Brook use the old CNJ main from Aldene to Bound Brook at Bound Brook switch back to the Lehigh Line and back to Allentown. That could all be done in a day.
A route over current freight-only trackage would be the most appealing to me; is it much more difficult to get operating clearance on these routes, as opposed to freight/passenger routes (i.e. Harrisburg-Gallitzin)? Brandon's Allentown & east suggestion is good, or an Allentown & west (Allentown-Reading-Philly?) route would be nice also.
 #782299  by KillerB

mst145 wrote:Start in Harrisburg Take the Harrisburg Line to Reading, then head north through the Anthracite Region via Reading & Northern & Shamokin Valley RR to Sunbury. At Sunbury, head south on the Buffalo Line back to Harrisburg.

M.T.
I would vote for this one...
 #782300  by KillerB

rswinnerton wrote:All good suggestions guys! Keep 'em coming. One question to pose to the group though....

What would you pay to ride a dome car on the following route: Harrisburg/Lock Haven/Tyrone/Altoona/Gallitzin/Altoona/Harrisburg?

What about a regular seat? (No Septa equipment! We learned our lesson!)

Thoughts?
Russ

Also, the trip and convention will be seperate from now on and we can't use CSX as they generally don't allow excursions.
...or this one.
 #827459  by jgallaway81

If this topic is still open, might I offer an idea? This is of course, contingent on no limits:

Harrisburg Station -> CP-Rockville via Pittsburgh Line
Rockville -> Lock Haven via Buffalo Line
Lock Haven -> Tyrone via NBER
Tyrone -> Johnstown via Pittsburgh Line
Johnstown -> Conpit Junction via Pittsburgh Line, Track Three
Conpit Junction -> CP-Wing via Pittsburgh Line
CP-Wing -> CP-Isle via Port Perry & Mon Line
CP-Isle -> CP-Penn by way of Island Avenue Yard
CP-Penn -> Conpit Junction via Conemaugh Line
Conpit Junction-> Harrisburg Station via the Pittsburgh Line, with pauses: near MP PT 279 to remember the Sang Hollow Wreck - at CP-MO for a picture opportunity of the train in front of the enginehouse - at Bennington Curve to remember the victims of the 1947 wreck of the Red Arrow.
 #836476  by rswinnerton

Bobby, I posted on the other post about it, but the next trip will be 2011 or 2012 due to possible other commitments. We will have special equipment (dome!) and rare mileage, some of it very rare. We are also thinking June instead of October because of longer daylight and better availability of equipment. The reason we used Septa cars on the last one was because all of Amtrak's other protect equipment was down in Virginia for another excursion. Rest assured though that Septa Cars will not be gracing our excursions ever again.

Russ
 #851244  by gprimr1

I am in favor of freight only running. Let's so something that we can't do on Amtrak, or a commuter rail agency.

I like the idea of Philly to Baltimore, but not farther than Baltimore since thats covered by MARC. You could use Baily's wye to turn the train around. You could then go up the Hanover Subdivision and return to Harrisburg.

A short excursion on the Pope's Creek subdivision in Southern MD would be fun too.