Railroad Forums 

• RARE MILEAGE EXCURSION w/ PRR E8s! - October 17

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#835888  by Bobby S

It's almost October again! Anything planned yet??? I anxiously await! Too bad we couldn't do the trip over from last year and pick a day when the sun comes out! That is the only thing that killed it for me. :(
 #836474  by rswinnerton

Bobby, we've got something in the works, but it will be for 2011 or 2012. I can't say too much about it yet, but I can tell you that we are planning to have domes and very rare mileage. It'll also be a longer trip, but with a stop for lunch.

I may have already said too much :)
Russ Swinnerton
 #836543  by rswinnerton

Jim, don't worry, when the time is right, we'll let you know. :) The only thing holding up the works is the possibility of some other short trips in 2011 that I am not free to comment on. If those other trips come to fruition, we'll have to move our trip back to 2012. I'd prefer not to wait that long, but 2 trips in one year would just me too much for us to realistically staff and plan. About a year goes into each trip and the big trip we're planning now will require the co-operation of 3 railroads, Amtrak and at least 3 private car owners. I think it'll be worth the work though! If we can get cooperation from all involved, our trip will feature:
-High speed running on the Keystone Corridor (upto 90mph!)
-Meandering country railroad (freight only!)
-River grade scenery(also freight only, but a different section)
-Special 1st class cars very rarely seen on the east coast
-A special lunch layover at a railroad related venue

and more!

I can't say any more or I'd give it away!
One thing I can promise is absolutely posativly no Septa cars. All coach tickets will be Amfleet or better. We intend to offer breakfast and dinner onboard via a pair of cafe cars for coach and catered food for 1st class. We also want to do wine/microbrew beer & cheese tasting in the 1st class section, but PA's alcohol rules will have to be consulted first. We also want to include a trip book with your tickets so we don't run out like last time. We also will be offering another t-shirt with ticket orders instead of on the train (as I have 3 cases at home still...)

:)

Again, I run off at the mouth...
Russ
 #836875  by JimBoylan

rswinnerton wrote:We also want to include a trip book with your tickets so we don't run out like last time.
May I help? I may have some United State Railroad Administration public timetables for part of the route.
 #838778  by gprimr1

I was very sad that I couldn't afford to take this trip last October. I am in a much better condition now and I can't wait to hear about the upcoming plans. :)