Railroad Forums 

• Chemical Coast Line Signals (when removed?)

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#662781  by amtrakhogger

I was driving on the Nj Turnpike next to the Chemical Coast and was wondering when CR (or the CNJ) pulled the plug on the signal system? I was wondering since the line is now "dark" territory.
 #666156  by RailsEast

There are still signals on the Chemical Coast (I've been lurking there a bit lately).....the interlocking (PD) at Port Reading yard where the PR Secondary crosses the Coast is still signaled, and the signals at the passing siding at the Amerada Hess facility (ethanol train destination) in Sewaren light up when a track is occupied. I know this because I was watching the weed sprayer spray the siding at the Hess facility just a couple of days ago, and when the maintainer threw the switch for the sprayer to occupy the siding off of the main, the signal went from dark to 'approach' (I think that's the right term). I frequently hear the North Jersey Dispatcher give trains 'the signal' at Port Newark (PN) for their journey south on the Coast.
(Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this line; my ramblings are just what I have heard on the radio/observed in person in the last couple of months) :)
 #666237  by amtrakhogger

I know there are signals at certain locations but I have a CR timetable page that shows the line is manual block (DCS.)
 #666624  by IRN750

If I remember right they were removed in 1984/early 85 by Conrails forward thinking Officals. At the same time the Chemical Coast was reduced to one track along with closing of towers at Port and Rahway